Is a $100 DAC worth it?

I want a cable extension (jack) and/or a max volume increase (dial) my desk to switch between earbugs, headphones, and desktop speakers. Is a DAC the best solution? What interface do i utilize off my Mobo; optical, 5.1, or USB(2.0/3.0).

1 Like

Hmm, if you don’t need better amplification there’s nothing you’ve mentioned that require a DAC per se, though it is definitely doable with the right DAC.

I think a Schiit Fulla 2 would fit this use case pretty well. Hook speakers to the line or pre out on the back, plug headphone/earbuds to the front when in use, and control it all with a volume knob on your desk.

Connects via micro usb, usb 2.0

1 Like

What is the model of your headphone and motherboard?
Depending on which model they are, an upgrade may not even be worth it…

mobo it a Z87N, headphones nothing special

Hmm, yeah, the motherboard side could use some improvement.
Take a look at the Topping D3, could be an option.

Anything more sleak and black? A few com parables?

The mayflower portable headphone amplifier? Think it’s like $70

Fiio E10k?

Has a line out for powered monitors and a headphone jack with a decent amp which should power most cans and iems just fine. Connects via usb as well

1 Like

My friend got that newer gen Scarlett Solo which seems to have L&R RCA, but for some reason there is just one volume knob

So I checked that Fiio E10k seems to also have just one volume knob, which weirds me

These things have simple requirements

Speakers out from back
Headphones in from front
Volume knobs or on/off buttons for both
Mic/XLR is bonus feature

:man_shrugging:

Fiio E10K has line-level output, so no volume control for speakers. Schiit Fulla 2’s knob will control both headphone and pre-out volume, and has a line out on top of that.

Maybe Micca Origen+?