Is 500W enough?

CPU - A10-6800k (100W tdp)

Proposed GPU - GTX 680 Power Edition (Lightning) [190-ish W]

1 HDD

1 DVD Drive

5 120mm Fans.

I did an estimate on an online calculator and it recommended around 450W...

So would I get away with a 500W or is it a scary small safety margin?

absolutely, as long as you don't go nuts with overclocking. however I'd recommend a 600w or 650w just be to safe. and have a little headroom.

Why a 680? Are you buying it used? 

why are you trying to use  a cheapo 500w power supply with a 680gtx your just aking for trouble.

Depending on what 500w PSU you went with - yes you would have enough. But you would have no room to upgrade. And you should always build with a upgrade path in mind. Most people do not buy whole new pcs ever 3 years. We upgrade individual parts every 1-3 years as needed. And certain things like PSU's, hard drives, optical drives, cases, peripherals (keyboards, mice, etc.) can have much longer life spans like 5-7 years. If your budget allows I would say get a 750 or larger, at least 80+Silver. The best for "future proofing" would be a 1000w 80+ Titanium (or better) PSU - although that would be retarded expensive(over $400.)

yea 450w is pretty close. Is it even 80plus rated? You might get away with that otherwise it's a matter of time. Most cheapo power supply last a year or two.

Go with a 600w, the extra headroom will be nice for expansion and better efficiency out of the psu. there is not a huge increase in price ($20 max?) depending, Newegg is currently doing a sale on PSU's.

500W if decent one, will be totaly fine.

80+ ratings doesnt tell much by the way. ☺

Absolutely any single-GPU system will work on 500W.

When you use PSU calculators, they already give you solid safety margins, so if it says "450W recommended", at 500 you are super-safe.

Future upgrades are likely to decrease power consumption, not increase it. For example, switching to i5 or i7 will decrease power consumption. GPU upgrades are likely to reduce power consumption too, as new generations are more efficient.