IPv6 only in 2024

Understandable, but in local, u don’t need all 32?

Also conventions like :: for eight zeros and :0: for four zeros. Should help with remembering. Also, almost everyone has their own DNS so just rename local machine with devicename.local in your router or hosts file in Windows.

1 Like

Actually, there are two new 10 megabits standards allowing industrial to reuse existing cabling: 10BASE-T1S and 10BASE-T1S. They work over a single twisted pair, and, as cost saving measures, use capacitors for isolation (as opposed to transformers) and terminal block connections. God forbid industrial technicians would need to crimp their own. T1L is long distance (kilometers) and T1S is short distance token ring.

This, so much this. IPv4 works, and ain’t no one got the time to test v6

2 Likes

The “leave out unused” sure helps. Else I would qualify v6 as machine-only…

Where I work, there is usually no DNS (yet). Got to remember/write down the IPs elsewhere.

1 Like

There is a huge amount that breaks, especially if you have an organisation that uses VPNs and split brain (or otherwise internal separated from external) DNS.

IPv4 over IPv6 breaks horribly if the place you’re connecting is IPv4 only internally and your end does IPv6 name lookups through IPv4 over IPv6 tunnel to the external DNS. Essentially your machine will do IPv6 lookup, out to the open internet and fail to look up records for the internal VPN protected hosts on private ipv4. Or it will do ipv4 inside ipv6 name lookup back correctly, get the correct query result and then your tcp stack will embed the private LAN ip inside of IPv6 and try route it over the internet. Or other associated breakage - because there are a lot of broken implementations of IPv4->IPv6 DNS hackery out there.

There’s a heap of telcos and hardware vendors who STILL or only recently properly supported ipv6. If you’re ipv6 only without any sort of dual-stack capability you will see various things break.

Whether those things matter for you specifically is another thing… but for “general internet use” dual stack is still required at this point imho.

1 Like

Done. Supporting IPv6-only Networks - Support - Apple Developer

“As of June 1, 2016, all apps submitted to the App Store must support IPv6-only networks.”

5 Likes

Assuming apple gets right on it we can expect enterprise to catch up everywhere by 2030 :slight_smile:

A lot of the dependent enterprise hardware is on 5-10 year replacement schedule unfortunately :smiley:

2 Likes

Realize the end user doesn’t care as long as it works

1 Like

split-horizon :slight_smile: … although.
split-brain is when you have replicated storage like either block, or DB and then “accidentally” and “unplanned” you end up with writes being accepted in 2 or more places, causing a “data drift” that needs to be manually resolved.

There’s this:
Happy Eyeballs - Wikipedia RFC 6555 - Happy Eyeballs: Success with Dual-Stack Hosts

It’s what most browsers and libraries like curl, and various libc, etc… end up implementing.

1 Like

PIA not only doesn’t support IPv6, they have “IPv6 leak protection enabled by default and we’ve removed the option to disable this feature” meaning it kills any IPv6 even when the VPN is down.

I was thinking of Apple using IPv6 while deprecating IPv4.

Online probably… once all mobile carriers world wide start to provide IPv6 for every subscriber.

Locally at home or when connecting two places via Zerotier/Tailscale, I prefer the simplicity of v4.

My cable provider gives DSlite (full v6 with shared v4) to home users, a necessary evil especially in Germany where many services still require v4 for resolution.
My mobile carrier on the other hand only offers NATed v4, so in order to connect those two places, I am in deep need for a service that has support for both or I host a VPS at a datacenter that has both.

1 Like

Would be interesting to see a video on this by the God Emperor Wendell, himself. I’m lacking of knowledge to say anything interesting on this matter.

Split brain DNS has been a term since the 90s

:shrug:

Had no idea… I did a bit (a fair chunk) of work on DNS; and Storage; and storage for network infra. (back in the mid 2000s)

Is it a Microsoft-ism?

1 Like

One of the reasons why i’m still at 4,
is that my current isp in my area doesn’t support full dual stack yet only DS-lite.
And that just sucks, then i’m rather just at 4.

2 Likes

Hmm. Also please stop using Google.

1 Like

If you have any sort of always-on device which allows VMs, just make a Debian CM and install PiHole or some other DNS solution. Done. I have set it up on a low end QNAP with J1900.

1 Like

Yeah I’m on a full native stack a ton of US and Canadian ISPs support it now. It is a little bit if a learning curve to understand prefix delegation but nothing unsolveable

Not sure, but commonly used in MS environments where you want your AD DNS to not be exposed to the internet.

Either to not have AD DNS exposed to the internet itself, or to hide your internal hostnames/DNS domain from the internet or both.

Also you may have different IP addresses for the inside and outside interfaces of hosts that are available both inside and outside of your network - think things like (pre-cloud hosted) Sharepoint, etc. Or for mail routing - e.g., external world hits your hardened external SMTP relay, whilst internally you might use say, Exchange.

I run “split brain” DNS here myself for both current and legacy reasons above.

The problem is if a host on the internet is using native ipv6, the name-server queries can go to the VPN’s DNS server, and ipv4/ipv6 DNS manipulation on the client turns a returned private IPv4 address into an ipv4 encoded inside ipv6 IP address that doesn’t route through the tunnel (doesn’t match the crypto map) and thus escapes to the internet - where it is not routable.

Windows 10 seems to do this in some scenarios i haven’t yet managed to fully pin down.

1 Like

So basically if you’re doing AD, and have laptops or other things that go on different networks, you need to take care of both IPv4 and IPv6 DNS entries, regardless of whether you’re actually using IPv6 on your network… because these other networks might have some weird IPv6 that may confuse the portable device?

Is this roughly the answer?

[It’s not only win 10 and AD and a VPN issue, unless you fully disable IPv6 on clients always, you’ll need some kind of DNS entries for your stuff]