IPV6 for a Normie Home User? Is it worth it?

You may want to google DNS. You shouldn’t be typing IPv6 IP addresses on a regular basis.

1 Like

There aren’t that many?!?!?! I think that you spoke to the wrong person.
Hurricane Electric gave me a block of like 50k public addresses for free!

If their policy is that they don’t issue IPv6 addresses to residential customers (yet), I get that, my ISP has the same policy. They don’t yet have the infrastructure in place to support that and their current IPv4 juggling act is working, so they aren’t in any hurry to spend money on replacing existing, functioning equipment. As ISPs retire old equipment, they will gradually expand their IPV6 support over time.

No.
If you are running windows, you are currently better off disabling it.
It currently causes issues.

1 Like

That is obviously generic FUD.

From https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929852/guidance-for-configuring-ipv6-in-windows-for-advanced-users:

It is common for IT administrators to want to disable IPv6. This is often because of some unknown, networking-related issue, such as a name resolution issue.

Important[:] Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a mandatory part of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and newer versions. We do not recommend that you disable IPv6 or its components. If you do, some Windows components may not function.

We recommend that you use “Prefer IPv4 over IPv6” in prefix policies instead of disabling IPV6.

1 Like

IPV6 has one purpose only, to enable the Internet of Things to spy on every aspect of your life.

Hahaha…

No, I have been troubleshooting a 20Gb bond that was only able to push 3Gb until we disabled IPv6. Now it runs at line speed.

So. No. It’s not generic FUD.

That’s just the last in a long list of issues I’ve had to deal with.

1 Like

Listen, I don’t write the docs that the company gives me I just follow them.

If I leave the IPv6 box checked the resolver group will kick the ticket back to me and say “try again”.

I’m not going to die on that hill.

So you were able to mask the deleterious effects of a misconfigured network by disabling ipv6. Trying to pass that off as generally appropriate is, in fact, FUD.

1 Like

That’s bs. Don’t need ipv6 for that.

In the meantime try joining two corporate networks both using say 10.0.0.0/8 effectively.

1 Like

Yup, i´m also reading into this stuff because my isp,
is also starting to roll ipv6 out to the masses.
And i was also reading trough the user forums,
many users complaing about certain issues as well.
Especially with their own online tv streaming service.

So i rejeced the use the new modem they sended me. :slight_smile:
Because there was a small chance according to my isp’s helpdesk,
that the new modem would install itself in ipv6 ds lite modus.
They told me that they could switch it back to ipv4 again.
But then it could take about 24+ hours before i was back at ipv4 again.
And i didn’t want to deal with that garbage.

This, is factually incorrect.
Do you work for Microsoft?

Lets milk this.

This was done.

Oh yeah. Totally a DNS problem.

What functions are dependent on the IPV6 stack?

Now, I know you likely know your stuff. You seem very well spoken.

But when you follow all of MS’ instructions and stuff still doesn’t work as it should. What then? Problem must still lie with the admin/user? There is NO way that MS’ implementation is flawed?

So, exactly what is being “Masked?” that removing an extra set of protocols that are not being used makes everything work?

I mean, I’m here to learn. Clearly I’m missing something.

1 Like

No.

Stick with IPV4 and simplify your life until its necessary

1 Like

By that point, they will have implemented IPV10.
:smiley:

1 Like

Is that still a meme or is actually a serious RFC draft at this point haha?

There’s also a decent chance the ISP modem will. You know. Work properly with ipv6.

I’ve been running ipv6 here since 2011 and have had approximately 1 issue that was self inflicted.

I set up pfsense in a lab environment on my lan and didn’t turn off router advertisements. So it advertised itself as a gateway to the internet I pretended was in my lab environment.

Other than that. Zero.

1 Like

Well yeah there are also many users who are totally happy with it.
However from what i read, many users had issues,
with certain things like running game servers, online tv streaming services and what not.
In all those scenario’s the problem was pretty much always solved when switching them back to ipv4 mode.

Little of Column A, Little of Column B.

1 Like

Its likely with the pools of address. Hurricane electric sold some of there share of the addresses and stuff. and streaming services made the dick maneuver of blocking IP6 tunnels because of geolocking. I suspect its related…

Im guessing it will be IP4 addresses embedded in IP6 packets so a sort of 6+4 deal going on?

1 Like

The time has come to man up and fix networks rather than just sweep the underlying issues under the rug. It may be as simple as changing your DNS server settings or allowing ICMPv6 through your firewall to allow ipv6 to send packet too big replies.

IPv4 deficiencies cause far more issues every day due to addresss scarcity and the broken hacks we have to use to deal with that. E.g. NAT. which weakens encryption, and in the case of joining private networks together as above is a complete dumpster fire.

Fair enough home users don’t see a lot of those problems and seem to cling to NAT as some sort of safety blanket. But you can replace the “security” of NAT with less lines of ipv6 firewall rules than to even configure NAT in a lot of cases.

Please qualify this with further explanation.