IPS Panel Image Retention

Hi all,

I’m looking to purchase a 43" 4K Monitor in the UK. I did consider waiting until ones with HDMI 2.1 are released but I suspect that’s going to be a while, and even longer before they are at an acceptable price point.

I was going to get a Acer ET430K, however more than a few reviews of this monitor mention it has bad image retention.

I was a bit confused at first, as I didn’t think image retention was an issue on LCD panels, none of the ones I have used personally have had it, not that I have noticed anyway.

After googling, it seems it’s actually quite a common problem for IPS panels, Apple even have a article about it and how to avoid it etc.

My question is, is it just companies using sub par quality panels in these monitors, and that is why they are having image retention issues?

My main monitor at the moment is a HP LP2475w, which is a H-IPS, and I have noticed 0 image retention issues on it.

HP / Dell / LG do 43" screens, but at a significantly greater price point, which is hard for me to justify really.