[SOLVED] iPhone - Which of these is best (I don't do Apple personally)

I think she’s used to a smaller phone and has small hands to match!

Since security updates become especially important for someone who is keeping a phone for many years, I would definitely pick the SE2 over any of the other choices.

The rough rule of thumb for iPhones is that they are supported for for about 5 years from release. This is more specifically tracking the processor of the phone, so phones released with preexisting CPUs (5c, SE, SE2) are expected to lose support along with the predecessor they share a processor with (5, 6s, 11 respectively). Were I in your position, I would be thinking in terms of cost over the supported lifetime of the device:

Lifetime annual cost Support Device
96.69 GBP/year 4⅓ years SE2 64 GB
108.23 GBP/year 4⅓ years SE2 128 GB
188.14 GBP/year 2⅓ years 8+ 64 GB
261.75 GBP/year 1⅓ years 7 128 GB
1200 GBP/year ⅓ years 6s+ 128 GB

There is a rumour of Apple not dropping any devices with iOS 14, which would make the 6s a “more” reasonable 300 GBP/year, but I would not rely on that.

4 Likes

I can’t see Apple extending support a lot, as they go for repeat customers, rather than growth.

The cost/ year is exactly what I did before getting mine though, so kudos for that!

They already kind of have. There is zero need to support phones for 5 years. No one else does.

I also remember them in a keynote a couple of years ago specifically pointing out wanting people to own their phone for longer.

Wow, thank you very much for that in depth analysis, really is helpful to see the overview and beyond the aesthetics and other factors I’m personally not interested in. That is an excellent way to look at it, thank you so much for taking the time :+1: :clap:

One thing I think should be included in the total cost of ownership is a midlife battery replacement. A battery replacement for the SE is £49 out of warranty. So generally this bumps the price up about $10 a year (for a new SE). Which is still excellent.

2 Likes

Thank you for that @Eden, very good thinking :+1:

Definitely cost it in. I don’t get why people complain about having a bad battery after 2 or 3 years but never replace it :smiley: Apple have a very transparent battery replacement program. The only other company i know thats anywhere near as good is samsung which do list process for replacements and do offer doing those replacements.

1 Like

Good point to keep in mind replacement battery pricing. As I mentioned in the general SE2 thread all the phones mentioned are in the same battery cost bracket, but one should keep it in mind. It should especially be considered if you are buying used.

However, battery decay really depends on the person; something about my usage patterns has still left me with ~80% of maximum capacity after ~5 years, which is quite usable for me.

• I frequently use it while plugged in and at near 100%
  • I rarely have the screen at full brightness
  • I do not use resource-intensive apps often

Do note that leaving a phone constantly plugged in is considered a bad idea; maybe I just won the lithium lottery, maybe the latter two outweigh the first, or maybe the temperature where I am has been moderate enough to counteract the worst effects. All I know is that it has served me very well despite predating Apple’s official charging optimisation system. Maybe I am benefitting from some nascent version of this, Apple does like to do things unofficially…

Anyway, that is part of why I did not bother including battery costs; were I to use personal experience as a guide it would still be zero. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for that, I’m afraid I can’t say more than click the ‘heart’ icon, but well done for taking the time to write!

Hi @noenken @MetalizeYourBrain @Trooper_ish @Eden @AbstractConcept

Just wanted to say thank you very much again for all your advice, I got her the SE as her 5C couldn’t hold a charge for more than a few minutes! She’s been very good with it, even bought a case before she even used it!

All the best! :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :wink:

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Open Source Phones?

Hope it works out well.

Settings are respected after a restore from backup or a transfer, but if you are setting up iCloud anew or changing primary iCloud accounts on a device, be aware that it may auto-enable certain “cloud” features like iCloud Photos, and iCloud Backup.

I am curious, what is the circular hole in the screen protector right of the home button? As far as I know, there is no sensor in that location.

1 Like

It seems to have so far, thank you for asking :clap:

She’s been able to sync up things without a problem - have to give Apple credit for that, once you’re with them, moving to another device is easy (provided it’s an Apple!).

Hmm, not so sure what that thing is actually. Here’s a closer look though if helpful (perhaps not):

I just read that the home button isn’t a clickable thing, so perhaps this is to help with movement detection or something similar?

1 Like

The touchID sensor is there

1 Like

No, the TouchID system is part of the home button/pseudo-button itself.

That circle l was asking about is to the right of the Home button; it seems to have moved slightly from the first to the second image, so I assume maybe it is just a small piece of plastic sliding around under the screen protector.

1 Like

With screen protectors like that, I find a small bit of water* along one edge helps before applying a screen, then fold some thin cloth/TP over a credit card, and use the credit card to lay the screen protector flat on the wetted screen.
As you lay it down, the water gets pushed along, and should push any air bubbles out in front of it.

*Personally I actually find spit a little more viscous, so doesn’t run away too fast.
The liquid dries up quickly regardless.

It looks like that screen protector is connected to the plastic frame, but still might be able to do the water trick.

If not, a small bit of water does no harm.

Just think of a little bit of spit as lube, to allow smoother ingress application

1 Like

Ah, yeah you could be right there, as it’s no longer there. I think she mucked up the screen protector!

Oooh, nice tip, thank you! When I spit on her phone, I can screenshot your comment as justification :wink:

I’m certain the screen protector was separate, so your trick should work very well…she mucked up the one that came with it, so will be buying another pretty sharpish.

I’m not going to comment further, as this could turn into an inappropriate tangent :laughing:

1 Like

Just a minor update, but she’s still very happy with the phone, which is a relief! Thanks again all that helped :clap: :clap: