Ion Fury (3D Realms)

Because this title will probably fly under the radar of many, I am leaving this here for the old-school fans of likes of Doom,Duke 3D, Quake, Hexen, Heretic, Blood 90s shooters. The game is pure speed, chaos and fun :slight_smile: Made me feel like I was playing Duke Nukem 3d Multiplayer against other kids, kicking ass and chewing bubble gum, just like in the 90s.

Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) is a 2019 first-person shooter video game developed by Voidpoint and published by 3D Realms. Ion Fury runs on a modified version of Ken Silverman’s Build engine and is the first original commercial game to utilize the engine in 19 years.

Ion Fury is built on EDuke32, a fork of Build engine which supports modern operating systems while also implementing a broader range of features.

Voice actor Jon St. John, best known for the character Duke Nukem, was confirmed to be voicing the game’s main villain.

Ion Fury received very positive reviews, averaging 81% score on Metacritic.

In Ion Fury, the player assumes the role of Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison, a bomb disposal expert aligned to the Global Defense Force. Dr. Jadus Heskel, a transhumanist cult leader, unleashes an army of cybernetically-enhanced soldiers on the futuristic city of Neo D.C., which Shelly is tasked with fighting through.

I recorded some gameplay footage from the first 2 levels, so you guys can see what the game looks and feels like.

Trigger alert : i created the intro just to show how some things have changed since then, and nobody with half a brain should take it seriously. Really. Toxic feminists, and blue pill beta orbiters, this video is not for you. Really.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLr13c4bgYhIOLx0sBuv4J4m7UXfJoPkeC (video will be up as soon as the youtube process it) Enjoy :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I saw the Modern Vintage Gamer video (i think…) on it and more recently the LGR video review too, we also came across it in the Guess the Game thread. I really like everything about it. I think I am going to buy it tonight and see how it plays.

2 Likes

that’s where I came across this.
Haven’t actually played it, but it looks to have a wonderfully archaic vibe…

1 Like

I am so excited for the big box version of it. I may pick it up on steam in the meantime but I’m definitely grabbing a physical copy for the collection when I can!

Check out Civvie 11 as well. If you like LGR and MVG you’ll probably enjoy his content.

1 Like

So it is bought, available on GOG too so got that one. says linux support too which is awesome. Downloading now will have things to say some time soon. got to get some play in on it.

@Gurf thanks I have not come across that one yet, I will check it out soon.

The game is fantastic. Has all the slippery speed, low res grimeyness, great sound track, fun weapons and the right difficulty (playing on normal). It is just a lot of fun, you die a lot and just get right back into it.

I happen to be playing the original Doom on the PS4 in my friends house. And Ion Fury is so similar but just improved and tweaked for new PCs.

2 Likes