IOMMU groups for VM host: x570 or x99

Hi everyone,

Glad to have found this group first of all.

I am pleased to share that I had just built a light duty server based VMware ESXi 6.5 U2 (chosen because 1 of the NVMe drive cannot be recognised by ESXi 6.7 or 7.0) on Asrock X570 Steel Legend, Ryzen 5 3600, and a simple GPU (GTX570Ti - not for Passthrough). For my purpose, Data transfer rate is most critical while graphic and processing power are less critical. With IOMMU, I am able to Passthrough one of NVMe drive as planned and with vmkfstools another 3 SATA SSDs to a Windows 10 PRO VM which also serves as light duty files sharing host via Local Users and Groups setting.

I do have a problem though. After having it setup with 2 of the SSDs setup on Windows software mirror RAID, I find the writing speed extremely slow. While it is able to peak around 110 to 120 MB/s, it average only 25 MB/s. I am now thinking of using the built-in Hardware RAID 1 as alternative. Has anyone tried X570 Hardware RAID over VMware? Any input much appreciated.

p.s.

1. I have made enough copies of backup to waste my earlier effort.
  2. Typically, I run 4 to 6 VMs (1 Win 10 Pro, the rest Win 10 Home 32bits) on this host.