Inwin 509

Hey guys just wondering what you guys thought about the inwin 509? I’ve just bought the rog version for my next build. Also I wanted to color the red radiator bracket inside black does anybody have any recommendations on how to do this?

It’s alright.

1 Like

I hate InWin cases. They’re all form over function. It’s like every case is designed to have at least one deal-breaking flaw. And they’re insanely overpriced for what they offer. They’re like Apple products of PC cases IMO.

Yeah, seems like every case has one flaw, but whether it’s deal breaking depends, I found a couple of really cool looking cases I would like to have (they seem fairly functional as well), but they both are missing an optical drive bay (Not even a slim one?). So to replace the current cases I would have to make a sacrifice, am already doing it on a small build I did, but I ain’t doing it for both since I use an optical drive to rip DVDs.

I don’t know as much about cases as I should aside from trying to figure out what fits.

I was actually looking at the 509 for my next build but decided against it. The ventilation options seem really odd…if you use that front side vent as an intake it’s not dust filtered. If you use it as an out then where is your intake? Yes there are additional intakes at the front but then I feel like the air would be sucked right out and wouldn’t really circulate around the whole case. There is room for maybe one additional fan at the bottom of the case besides the power supply but it seems kind of tight.

The only way I could really see it working is if you had a custom loop water cooler with a big radiator for both your CPU and GPU that vents out the front side. You could also have intake fans at the front, almost creating a separate air tunnel just for your radiator. Then add single a bottom fan intake and rear fan out that would hopefully keep everything else cool enough. That’s not really moving a ton of air in the main chamber which is why you need the really hot stuff to be water cooled. I think that setup could actually work pretty well, but it’s a very specific setup…

I actually do want a 5.25" drive in my next case as well, but holy crap does that limit your options. Even cases that do support it usually require the drive bay to be removed if you want to mount a big radiator on the roof. And if you also want a tempered glass window then that really limits your options. Which is why my top contender right now is probably the Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Tempered Glass. Honestly I don’t even care about the ‘Luxe’ aspect (I think RGB is way overused to be honest), but it was about the only chassis I could find that was large enough to support a 5.25" drive and a large top radiator that also has a tempered glass window.

OK the Enthoo Elite would work too but holy hell I don’t want to spend that much on a case…

no front shot? wth bro

Spray paint.
Either take it apart and paint it or do what I call the ‘Sterile Surgical Field’ method.
I have painted components inside my case without taking it apart using the S.S.F. method.

1. Carefully use masking tape to surround the thing you want to paint.
  2. Place the entire PC inside a large plastic garbage bag.
  3. Use a knife to cut an incision over the item you want to paint.
  4. Use more tape to stick the edges of the cut bag to the tape you placed earlier around the thing to be painted.
  5. Spray away and your PC will be protected by the garbage bag.

When you have surgery this is how the doctor only exposes the area he’s working on to prevent infections that could come from the rest of your body.

Thanks I was going to take it apart just didn’t know what to us to color it and my bad thought I had the front of the case also.
This case seems like it was made with custom loops in mind and that’s it.

1 Like

Just remember the main rule of spray paint.

5 light coats are better than trying to do 2 heavy coats and then you get a drip.

The first few coats won’t cover it but be patient.
Once you get a drip the only option is sanding it flat again and you don’t want that.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice

1 Like

Ooops! I always forget things.

For computers I prefer to use paint from the auto parts store and then you need to apply clear coat. It’s made for metal, it has a nice finish and because auto body paint requires clear coat - It’s pretty tough. I also like that there are 1,000’s of colors that are easy to match.

The bad news: It’s more expensive.

This is my PC. Everything red has been painted with DupliColor Chrysler Inferno Red.
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Xy2RsY

1 Like

Thanks I don’t mind it being more expensive if it’ll look better.

1 Like

I really like the flat top, mine always has a dish or five on top :slight_smile:

I bought an inwin 707 for a server because it seems to be the only case that specifies EATX compatibility and actually holds an EATX (13in) board.
Other than that I don’t like much about it.

I previously bought an NZXT 630 and it is a really nice case. Its powder coated, has modular front and top plates that leave the buttons and switches mounted to the chassis. The sides and top are foam lined. Everything is finished and there’s lots of small details like LEDs to light the back panel where your cables plugin. The NZXT website and micro center list this case as EATX and its a damn monster, but no its ATX only and its not an easy mod to squeeze one in there.

I also tried a corsair obsidian and ran into the same EATX problem. Wtf is the point of a standard I pondered. The corsair was about the same quality as the inwin. Meh

That’s my experience anyway.