Return to Level1Techs.com

Into the Earhole: A Sound Guy’s Blog

Maine this week

3 Likes

Done with Maine, but first the local union heard we were working on their turf and we had to hire 3 more crew members, none of which really knew what to do in their respective positions. One guy kind of knew, but here’s the delicious part…

He tells me about a film he’s shooting. I ask if it’s a narrative, and his response is, “yeah, I guess you could call it that.” :thinking:

1 Like

Met a “full time” Batman, complete with batmobile and actual batarangs.

4 Likes

Now I just wanna watch Haven again…

1 Like

Went thrifting this morning and found a laptop (hp something with an i-3xxx something) at an estate sale for $25. No power adapter, battery probably bad…

Turns out the battery is in “good” health, and there was a used computer shop a few blocks away that had the proper PSU. Another $20 later and it’s good to go. Used computer shops are few and far between where I live, so the stars must have aligned for that to happen in this small town I’m in this week. I also picked up a 120Gb ssd from a “name your price” table a few months back. Not sure if it works; i think I paid $15. Altogether, $60 ain’t bad. I don’t have it in front of me, but some quick googling showed eBay listings at $350+. Will report back later…

1 Like

Easy morning today
Got some coffee and gonna do some halo (360) while exporting a mix.

Typically I don’t game and work in the same physical space, but I’m moving the studio next week anyway. :smiley:

3 Likes

South Dakota this week

1 Like

Bullwinkle?

While sitting in a hotel lobby on a travel shoot, I had a chat with a friend about him running a studio that did various animation and production. He told me how he ran it with a partner for 10 years, then decided to move on to something else so he could spend more time with his family.

Later that day, we (the crew) went bowling nearby, and it turns out that the scorecard display and animations had been done by his company, which was especially interesting, considering we were 1500 or so miles from home.

I set up my own router at home last night. Not entirely sure how I did it, to be honest. It broke for a while, I changed some settings, then it worked. :man_shrugging: The only thing I dislike is that it’s about 3/5 the speed it should be vs the ISP’s router (wired).

that chair is an HON design

1 Like

Wyoming this week

Shooting in a ‘youtuber’ office this week. Can’t share most of it due to nda but here’s a fun one

1 Like

Is that a propane bottle?
Does the bottle start icing up if you go full throttle with the flames?

I wish I could tell you. We had a guy use it a few times but only for 30 seconds or so. It was indoors, after all.

1 Like

I’m here again today, and someone did a 20-30 second burn. No ice on the tank; I’ll get a closer look at the bottle when I can.

1 Like

The only experience I have with icing is with 20# and 100# tanks. Then it was with extended use, like tens of minutes and summer time humidity. Its a neat looking gun and I bet fun to play with. I have a torch meant for roofing and use that occasionally for starting fires in my burn barrel. Its pretty loud when at full blast.

1 Like

Yep definitely propane

1 Like