Return to Level1Techs.com

Internship opportunity for US citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents that are enrolled in Community College

I was just browsing thru Reddit, looking for possible ideas on places to intern at and found this sub-reddit:

This is an internship position for the US Department of Energy at one of their laboratories, and what’s cool about the opportunity , is that they accept interns all year round, and according to the OP of the subreddit, you will be working next to some of the smartest people you will ever meet. But the deadline to apply for a summer internship is January 12, 2018.

Excerpt from the webpage:

Applications for the CCI program are solicited annually for three separate internship terms. Internship appointments are 10 weeks in duration for the Summer (May through August), Fall (August through December), and Spring (January through May) Terms. In the Fall and Spring Terms, there is an option for a “flex-schedule” where the equivalent of 400 hours spent onsite at a host lab can be spread over a 16 week duration term. This option is available at the discretion of host labs. Under a flex-schedule, weekly stipends are based on a 40 hours/week payment, prorated accordingly, with any housing allowance being based upon a 10-week duration appointment. Each DOE laboratory/facility offers different research opportunities; not all DOE laboratories/facilities offer internships during the Fall and Spring Terms.

As you see salary is included.

I did not look at all of the labs ( some offer some different areas of research ). But the Oak Ridge National Laboratory, in Oak Ridge Tenn. , offers areas of research in:

• Energy
  • Biology
  • Neutron Science
  • Materials
  • Security
  • High Performance Computing

Here is also a link to a PDF on DOE’s website that details last years participants and the Lab that they stayed at:

https://science.energy.gov/~/media/wdts/cci/pdf/2016-CCI-Terms_Participant-Report.pdf

Just thought some one might be interested.

Just looked thru the list of Labs that people interned at, more closely. And a few people interned at the Fermilab in Illinois. Fermilab makes the Linux Distro “Fermi Linux”. They also have a particle accelerator.

Sounds cool. Something your planning to do?

Ya, hopefully.

CC student myself, so this is super awesome. Thanks for sharing!