"Internet piracy" officially blocked in Australia, need help finding VPN for Linux

Stay away from any VPN provider that is located in a 5/9/14-eye country and always avoid US and UK servers for P2P traffic.

Here's a list of the best VPN providers for security/encryption, neutral jurisdiction, obfuscation, P2P speeds, policies and ethics. If you'd like to learn more hang around some of the security forums/subreddits. Any questions, don't hesitate. No I won't tell you which VPN's I use :P

• Boxpn
  • Doublehop.me
  • Hide.me
  • NolimitVPN
  • NVPN
  • Seedboxes.cc
  • Trust.Zone

If you're not a noob you could try using cryptostorm.

https://cryptostorm.is/

1 Like

I gave that as an example, there are dozens of public DNS servers you can use, but I'd suggest a VPN either way.

Since you seem to know a bit about this, I have a related question.

What if I have a server connected to the internet through VPN, but my browsing of torrents will go through another computer on the LAN (with openDNS), sending the torrents or magnet links to the server for downloading (I've heard this is possible, so I am still able to SSH and send magnet links to the server when within the LAN, but all other traffic, like torrent downloads, is done through the VPN) Will this be leaking in any way or easily transparent to the ISP/others?

Edit: I've heard this is possible...

We should DDoS australia until they stop being stupid LOL

1 Like

I suppose that they could mandate that ISPs block the DNS lookup at a packet level, as in filter each DNS query looking at it's contents. This could essentially prevent any DNS query from reaching the intended server if it contained certain keywords.

This would be possible for an ISP, but would put an unfathomable load on their servers and probably break a huge number of things.

That being said, I don't think that the lawmakers in question would actually do the research before implementing such a draconian measure and inevitably cock it up anyway.

Forums/Subreddits you speak of?

Yeah it's possible. Your ISP would at the least be able to see which ip you're connecting to and your dns queries so they could tell, at a minimum that you're going to the pirate Bay or whatever. But anti p2p groups wouldn't be as bad to see it and even if they did it wouldn't help them match you to stuff you do with the VPN if that's what you're asking.

1 Like

ISPs in Australia would definitely fight something like that, they don't want to pay for any of this and they don't believe it's their responsibility to police their users.

But if they did do that you could still get around it by using encrypted dns or a vpn, and torrent sites would just use proxies like they always do. It's pointless trying to block torrent sites and even the government knows that, they're just placating the industry groups.

1 Like

What about running your own dns server and using root hints

Any DNS server which isn't run by an ISP will work, they don't try to intercept DNS traffic or anything like that, it's just a list applied to their DNS servers.

We probably wouldn't even notice it. Websites/videos not loading is pretty standard.

2 Likes

I was thinking maybe making the nodes attack each other. Even globally. If we all can't have free internet no one gets any internet. Make all the nodes kill each other.

As many others have mentioned, Torguard is a very good option. Especially if you use the half off lifetime promo code I get 2 years for $60 US not sure what that is in AUS. Plenty of server locations, reliable service also their support team is top notch if you need them

1 Like

Using PureVPN on my Linux.....

I used to use something called proxy chains. I think Hak5 had some episodes on it a few years back.

Just a quick update...

Hide.me doesn't support p2p connections in Australia or US and consistently drops the connection.

I also tried purevpn.com but no luck...

Still trying to find a good vpn.

ipvanish and PiA both accept bitcoin anonymously, and use openvpn (which is crossplatform)

used both and they have gud bandwidth/consistent servers.

I would say Air VPN and Nord and PIA are the best.

EDIT: Chinese have it worse. https://torrentfreak.com/china-ban-unauthorized-vpn-services-in-internet-crackdown-170123/

For Linux, you only need a VPN that provides .ovpn files for you to use with the native VPN client (like Network Manager).

Air VPN does a decent job, bit seems to lack in speed sometimes on some exit nodes (it has lots of options though)

1 Like

Opera (42.0) has an in-built VPN client, and that seems to work fine for me on GNU/Linux! I have been able to watch stuff on Netflix from different regions, and normally Netflix throws up messages like "You seem to be using proxy..." when I tried it before with other paid VPN services (about a year or so before).