Interesting Second order linear differential equations

So as Im sure some of the more mathematically inclined people here know all second order linear differential equations have a mechanical counter part and thus an electrical one as well for vibrations. I am much more familiar with the mechanical side of things.

y''[x]-2*y'[x]+y[x]==Exp[x]/(x^2),y[x],x excuse the mathematica type but it makes it easier to read.

if you were to solve this equation for its solutions you would get

Exp[x]C1+Exp[x]xC2-Exp[x]*(1+Log[x])

That equation baffles my mind. I had no idea how to solve it by hand until I realized that you needed a log equation in there. Never before have I come across any equation with Log in it. The reason why this is interesting is bc it hints at the idea of the Memristor being a real thing which is the fourth and final part to passive components. Ive always been under the idea that the inductor(why is this not a word, plz fix) made up the fourth part with its imaginary outputs but maybe not. As I said Im much more in tune with the mechanical side of things.
Ive never seen a second order ODE spit out a Log and quite frankly I have no idea what that means for electrical systems. And so my question is has anyone else? Or does anyone even have an idea as to how this type of circuit would work or look like? Bc never in any of my years of doing countless differential equations have I seen a log as a solution to this.

2 Likes

The solution I got is Exp[x](C1 + C2x - Log[x]), how'd you get the constant in the particular solution? A constant coefficient on Exp[x] is a solution to the homogeneous equation, so it can be omitted.

Anyway, by my understanding, the solution gives the behavior of a circuit in response to an applied current, so it wouldn't mean anything weird is going on. Sort of like if you have an applied force for a SHM system that makes the spring look like it's nonlinear, where in reality you're just accounting for the rest of the system.

I might be completely off base here, of course. I like math, but I'm hardly an electrical engineer XP