Intel vs AMD: The Core Wars (Some Random Thoughts from Taipei) | Level One Techs

It is always better when people explain the logic behind some of their opinions. Yes… It should be done MOAR :slight_smile:

There should be a class action lawsuit on the new IBM i7 litmend ed.

I disagree – doing epyc as the hedt and in server would not have been a better decision for AMD. At least financially. You’re forgetting about the clock speeds – 3.2ghz max boost on the 7601 which costs around $5k. Well, technically, you can totally get Epyc on the HEDT. Right now. Today. Now, to be sure, if you have $5k to spend, you can totally have an Epic Epyc workstation. Wherein the CPU costs $5k.

16 core threadripper at 4.1-4.2ghz on one core is a different part at a different price, arguably a more difficult price point than the server part.

If threadripper wasn’t cut down in terms of i/o or memory bandwidth, what would stop someone from making 4.1ghz threadripper servers?

Epyc 7351 – 16 cores, max boost 2.9ghz – that’s about $1300. So you get the trade off – $300 more for 1ghz less clock speed but double i/o lanes and memory channels.

Given the state of the market, AMD gives up too much I think undercutting intel and moving Epyc pricing down. For some serverish workloads, like web servers that need a lot of i/o/storage/etc 32 cores at those clock speeds make a lot of sense.

I was looking at AM4 and Epyc and seeing much too much of a gap between those parts, especially on a 5 year time scale. Is it unreasonable to expect 8> 12 cores in am4? We’ve already got i/o and memory saturation, though at 8 cores and 4.3ghz.

For TR, by the end of the process, will TR grow into Epyc territory? Yes, bu that’s the natural progression of the market. It doesn’t make sense financially to do that in a single generation. I have no doubt that we’ll see probably a 15-25% price drop in Epyc cpus about every 12-18 months over the next 5 years. Which is how it was in cpu market in the era before Sandybridge, too.

I agree about Joe average though. Just am4 is not enough for both an enthusiast and Joe average but is great for an enthusiast on a budget.

1 Like

Speaking of AMD vs Intel, shots fired:

https://www.amd.com/en/campaigns/threadripper-exchange

5 Likes

pretty low blow lol

Here’s hoping to winning :crossed_fingers:

Also, GDPR related?

While we strive to engage with our fans around the globe, due to various laws and regulations this promotional program will only be available in the U.S. Sorry.

1 Like

How is that a low blow?

Yeah I entered. Why not? I’d love to trade it for a TR too :grin:

1 Like

I don´t think so. Probably more to do with this beeing a joke and not worth to clear any legal grounds elsewhere.

Interesting. I only (loosely) made the connection because they say you have to agree to Terms and Conditions, which today generally always means giving up the goods.

I wonder what AMD will do with those Intel chips, personally leaving them out for a dog to shit on would be pretty cool.

1 Like

Testing maybe? I still wouldn’t waste good silicon.

Try and reverse engineer to improve their own products? :wink:

No. It was Jim Keller who delivered. When he finishes his new micro-architecture Intel will be ahead of AMD again.

The device says “AMD” on it, not “Jim Keller Inc”

In 5 to 8 years?

I like the idea from other forum to make keyrings for AMD employees with engraved sentence “I have competition in my pocket”.

3 Likes

That easy, just half-ass enforcement of processor security boundaries.

For intel definition of “improve IPC”…

2 Likes

VIP and I agree.

We now have pretty awesome cpuS like the 2700x & 8700k, but are very circumscribed about what modern HB resources like; nvme/10Gb lan/usb 3…, that we can attach.

We are ~precluded from nvme raid e.g.

We have gone from being accustomed to having 4-8 once modern sata storage ports, to 1-1.5 of the new nvme storage devices.

I cant help thinking many who think they have a cutting edge platform for years to come, will rapidly out grow it or wish they could.

Its an unbalanced system, like a V8 car with bicycle wheels.

The average end user has no requirement for NVME RAID. Nor 10 gigabit (average user, remember).

My X470 taichi for example has 2x NVME slots, still has those 8 sata ports that i can stick SSDs into. It currently has 3x SATA SSDs not in RAID and it is plenty fast for normal end user tasks.

Just a few years ago most systems were shipping with spinning rust, which is orders of magnitude less responsive and 20% of the speed of even SATA SSD.

I get it, it would be nice to have the bandwidth, but for the mainstream platform, the vast, vast majority of end users simply won’t use those things. They certainly don’t want to pay for them.

This is what the HEDT platform is for. To pay for the stuff the 99% of people won’t need or use.

You aren’t precluded from NVME RAID anyway. 10 gigabit networking and PCIe hosted NVME SSD can both be added via cards if/when required. Very few people run multiple GPUs these days and both vendors have been trying to push people away from it. 8x PCIe3.0 is fine for 99% of cards on the market.

Worry about 3-5 year’s time in 3-5 years.

The next rev will no doubt have PCIe 4.0, USB++, More NVME / Less sata, etc. You’ll want a new motherboard at that point for various reasons.

NO platform, even threadripper or x299 will be “cutting edge for years to come”. I regularly see sustained load on all 8 cores. I do not often see sustained disk IO (and i’m not even on m.2 yet). I’m not sure what you’re doing to run into platform bottlenecks just yet, but maybe HEDT is for you.

“the die is just a quad core. Unless they RYZE the core count”

Rot.

If you understood Zen/Fabric/MCM architecture, you would realise 4 core ccx is unchangeable. Its about more ccxS, not bigger ccxS.