Intel to solder the cpu to broadwell motherboards

What do you guys think about Intel's plan to solder the CPU to the Broadwell architecture motherboard's? Looks like we all may have to go amd after all!

In the early days of computing it was not unusual for the cpu's to be soldered to the mainboard, and there was no real upgrading those days either....

It really isn't all that unreasonable from a consumer's perspective, but presuming that the number of pins/connections of the CPU will continue to increase that's going to be one hella soldering job.

I think for me personally and maybe for most users this would be less than an issue, if not better. see if I were to build a computer the CPU is gonna stay in there for at least 2 years. If I need to upgrade then there usually be a new socket and i need to change out the motherboard anyways, so I reckon it won't be a bad thing to merge the cpu with the board.

the good thing is that we do not have to fuss about getting a cpu then matching the motherboard socket. since the motherboard do not have much to do in performance nowadays, this would probably eliminate some inconvenience in the consumer side. And ultimately intel can have more control over their products, leading to better stability and consumer experience.

edit: but I guess if some people benchmark a lot with many different CPU, or water cooling them, for them it would be bad. yes that will not concern me but I expect Intel will have many issues with enthusiasts.

I almost never upgrade my CPU or mobo without the other so it really doesn't bother me.

Soldering won't be a problem they'll probably be BGAs anyways.

Ah that is awesome! xD

wow if they do solder the CPU onto the mobo then either the cost of having most things on the mobo (6GB/S S-ATA [standard these days] USB30 on the mobo will increase the overall cost or they'll just exclude/limit these... Oh well only time will tell what Intel's up to...

only time and money will tell (times doing that broken record thing again)

Well isn't there going to be a lot of motherboards, or just the opposite very few different motherboard options? What about if one of them goes bad you'll have to replace an otherwise fully functioning cpu/Motherboard? For people who like to upgrade, let's say somebody getting an i3 and then later wanting to get an i5... Might not be that many doing that so it probably doesn't matter but...

This was all just rumors and was denied by intel. spokesman Daniel Snyder clarified that Intel "will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future."

This most likely came about from people reading "intel to solder the cpu to broadwell motherboards" as "intel to solder the cpu for all broadwell motherboards". As has been said in this thread its not uncommon to get a solder version of a processor generaly these are mobile versions for embeded applications in fact it would be strange if intel dident release a solder version.

Intel's Broadwell will not have CPUs soddered to the motherboard. This was a rumor. http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/intel_says_company_committed_sockets2012