Intel responds to high kabylake temps (Focus on 7700k)

Original post; https://communities.intel.com/message/471425#471425

Quote:
"
Hello Everyone,

We appreciate the feedback you have provided, and your patience as we investigated this behavior. The reported behavior of the 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor, showing momentary temperature changes from the idle temperature, is normal while completing a task (like opening a browser or an application or a program).

In our internal investigation, we did not observe temperature variation outside of the expected behavior and recommended specifications. For processor specifications, please refer to the Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor Product Specifications.

Most motherboard manufacturers offer customizable fan speed control settings that may allow for smoother transition of fan revolutions per minute (rpm). Please consult your motherboard manufacturer’s manual or website for instructions on how to change default fan speed control settings.

We do not recommend running outside the processor specifications, such as by exceeding processor frequency or voltage specifications, or removing of the integrated heat spreader (sometimes called “de-lidding”). These actions will void the processor warranty.

Kindest Regards,
Ronald M.
"

What are your guys thoughts?

1 Like

Drama queens that think amd runs hot :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When clock speed and OCing is your main selling point vs the competition why would tell people they shouldn't be doing it?

3 Likes

Mostly ? The difference between what intel thinks is normal operating temps verses that uses from what i gather.

Hehe, true. Most Cpu's generate some heat, but i mostly find it weird that they sell a CPU as being the king of overclocking and then says people should not overclock it :stuck_out_tongue: And most signs has shown that kabylake runs insanly hot compared to many other cpu's

Because... Logic?

just findingmore excuses to sendout aother 4 core8 thread cpu that has aproper thermal past for another 400usd plus new socket...

2 Likes

Because most overclockers are probably going to delid it anyway. Its shitty of them to do what they do using shitty thermal compound instead of soldering the IHS on but this is nothing new for them. I can safely get mine to 4.7 without thermal throttling. I plan to delid eventually but I'm too lazy right now.

This is probably what will end up happening.

Giving tips in lowering temps by recommending to keep the shitty TIM. Irony isn't in Intel's vocabulary is it?

3 Likes

AMD has the FX-9000s
Nvidia has GTX 400 series
Intel has that thing
The triforce of hot products is complete!

1 Like

I plan on delidding aswell, my X52 keeps my cpu at a max of 77(Aida) when undervolted to 1.17 volts :grin: got it stable at 5.1 at 1.31 volts but then it hit 100(Aida).

Well, they just say that it voids your warranty which is true, its just fucked up that they market the K-series processors as overclocking processors and then say you shouldn't overclock it because it then runs to hot.

Hahahahaha, well said :smiley:

You know what I get rather pissed at the consumer at here?

Here is the fact of the matter. Yes intel said you can overclock them. Yes they binned it so it can. BUT if engineering cannot reproduce the problem at the same clocks and voltages someone is complaining about on a set of chips pulled from their assembly line then how in the world are they suppose to fix it. There are too many other factors that create heat like this is not something intel can simply halt everything and do. They wont do that either. Not to mention Intel thinks the normal operating range for the CPU is alot higher than what most consumers "LIKE" their chip to run at. What intel is basically saying in a PC way is hey if you overclock and you bitch about high temps which is to be expected when overclocking K chips.. then suck it up buttercup thats how it works you put more power into a chip to acheive higher clocks. More power means more heat. Welcome to the world of overclocking. Youve learned your first lesson

1 Like

How high are we talking? Over 80c at stock when a decent air cooler is used?

ryzen here we come? :smiley:

5 Likes

so this might be it, but, I think there is another possibility on this. TIM has a breakdown temperature, but sometimes they don't get the formulation just right. so is it possible that a hotter-than-usual-but-not-too-hot 7700k is breaking down its TIM at an accelerated rate, inside the chip? I have seen several cases in laptops where the TIM, after having been exposed to extreme heat "because it was designed that way", was basically done and not a good thermal conductor anymore. It accelerated the decay of the TIM basically because the laptops always ran hot to begin with.

Then dust and cloggy stuff in the fans. Bad JuJu.

Come to think of it, that exact thing happened on my Asus 6950 gpu which was the first expensive GPU I ever bought for myself.

6 Likes

It's what almost killed my PS3. the TIM turns to a gray dust and stops working. I replaced it with this cheap white TIM and even after years of use and hours of GTA5 it was still good.

Oh dear TIM - its mostly the #1 reason besides #2 RAM upgrade, that I so far opened every laptop I own(ed) on first sight to replace it with something well regarded (arctic cooling, noctua currently) that way my laptops often (compared to same model, same brand, same spec) run 1-2°C cooler under same load =D

I really hate to defend intel in this.

Intel goofed. Not the first time and will not be the last. More than half the people I know do not even check their CPU temp. So meh, I guess?

You guys act like temps spike did not exist before ? And like you did not have to build to cover it ?

Okay it has been pretty well documented that intel used cheaper thermal past on the kabylake lineup. It is not just the normal swings in temps that come from OCing. Now Intel only says that the chips are designed to run at the speeds they sell to you for, so there is some validity to saying that you are running to high voltage, but at the same time they cheaped out in this area. Not cool (pun intended). The reason we know that they cheaped out is because people have replaced it with other thermal past, and they got better temps.