Intel Pentium G3258 vs. AMD Fx 6300

I like that Pentium a lot but if you dont want to upgrade the cpu in the near future the 6300 easily gets my vote even though I am not a huge fan of the chip.

I want to say FX6300/6350 because 6 cores are better for games need more threads and it overclocks very well (owner here). But I havn't seen all too many benchmarks of the two chips. I would love to see someone comparing these two parts side by side. LOGAN! Get on this!

+1

Overclocked to overclocked there is no comparison, Pentium G overclocked vs stock FX-6300 you may see similar IPC performance but threaded performance will be way better with the FX-6300 as it has 3x more cores.

Obviously, but you have to factor higher mobo and cooler costs if you overclock. Like I said for the video card in OP both work just fine.

Well its offcourse not realy fair to compair that pentium to a FX6300, its more fair to compair this with the Athlon 760K. they are on the same price point.

FX6300 is offcourse better, but also more expensive. But its wat "op´s" question was all about.

Pentium G vs 760K would be a more fair compairisson

my question was: can pentium hold up to fx 6300 even tho much cheaper and only 2 cores? Turns out it cant so ill go with AMD still  

Good choice!

You can buy inexpensive boards now that most makers have a new bios for the h81-h85-h87-h97...makes more sense now

i5 proformance...for $70...let me think ab...i'll do it.

It blows the i3's doors off playing bf4 if its OCed...watch the vids

It'll blow the 6300 out the water too..when overclocked..research It

But the 6300 OCed is better... but best bang for buck is the Pentium

I like them both...so I built two systems ...One of each ; )

Your so mislead it's scary... The vids don't tell you that Frostbite 3 and Bf4 disable graphical settings automatically when the game sees an I3 or pentium. Don't go around saying that it's as fast as an I5 or I7 because it's only as fast as the I5 or I7 dues to lowed graphics. The graphics settings it lowers are not capable of being turned off OR on. Only the game can change it and the game does it strictly off processor. It disables the graphics stuff for I3's and Pentiums. :/

The only reason to go for the intel is the TDP. Most if not all intel CPUs draw less power than their AMD counterparts, but to be honest that's only useful for constructing always on PCs and the like.

The difference has been shown between intel and amd in power draw to be the equivalent of $5 or so a year :/ thats with an I7 and the fx 8350 so the difference on the pentium vs the fx 6300 should be even less. 

But is that with constant use with full draw?

If it is then thats rather surprising.

I've just picked up one of these from Scan in the UK for £45. The 6300 is £72 at OCUK this week though, lowest I could find it, but the Pentium is still £27 cheaper. As I have a 6300 system on a 970A-UD3P I can clock the 6300 up to 4.8 pretty easily...the board is a 970 but has an 8+2 power phase. Got a Ga-z87x-d3h to clock the Pentium with for the guy that wants a new system, and I got 4.7ghz. quite easily.

In BF4 multiplayer, both with a 270x, at 1920x1080 Ultra, with AA deferred off and post on medium and SSA0 on instead of HBOA.. 16 man server with 10 people or so on it, the Pentium seems to get about the same as the 6300. Once you get to 32 man, with more than 20 people on it, the Pentium keeps dropping down to 15 and maxes at 38 or 39. The 6300 gets 35-60. 64 man...forget it, the Pentium gets wasted. This is DX11 and not Mantle either.

They never bother to do realistic benchmarking on sites coming up with stuff like ..oh you can't bench multiplayer too many variables. Intel biased sites like Bit-Tech just mislead people. You have to physically get or borrow a chip.setup and see for yourself.

But...if I want to play BF4 multiplayer...just an an example. The Pentium doesn't blow the 6300 out of the water in a busy multiplayer game....it just blows...

I

Seen alot of comments suggesting the 6 cores of the 6300 blows the pentium which makes me laugh, ive seen tons of people saying how much they regret buying the 6300, if your only gaming the pentium holds up just fine against the i7 in MANY games when overclocked and can be easily done with the stock cooler. Pairing this with a cheaper z97 will give far better upgrade ability in the future cause at this stage i dont see AMD progressing any time soon like intel is.

The test I'm referencing is jayztwocents test. And in his test he averaged all the major tech sites power draw for the AMD and the Intel at full load. He then used the average for power cost at 14 cents for the US. Then he used the scenario, that you used your computer for 4hrs a day at full load for a year (which is much more then most people do use their computer at load for). He found that the difference was about $7.5. That's also on an exaggerated scenario because 4hr's of absolute load is way more then most any one does. Gaming, usually doesn't push your processor to more then 60% load. My 8350, right now playing bf4 is sitting at 50% load. Then we have to take the difference between the 6300 and pentium which is less then the 8350 and 4770k, and basically say the difference is $5 or less. And probably less.