Intel Meltdown compensation

That being the case, did you really need to apply the patches to hyper-visor layer? If you control that and all the VM’s then the risk is minimal. Meltdown is a huge risk to public cloud providers not home users where you control the entire stack. Can you uninstall the patches?

</trying to be helpful>

1 Like

The VMs are for isolation and security as much as anything else, so I’m not sure it’s a good idea to go without patches.

It really depends what you are running on them and if you trust the code or not.

You might be in a position to disable KVAS which can really hit performance, especially if you know exactly what is running in each VM.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072698/windows-server-guidance-to-protect-against-the-speculative-execution

Basically what I expect as well.

Class actions like this should result in full compensation. Unfortunately lawyers end up with all the money. Hopefully we’ll soon be replacing them with robots.

2 Likes

Yeah, I could probably spend some of my valuable time tuning the VMs and doing security audits of the software running in them… But that has a huge cost as well. And it’s still Intel’s fault.

Intel started negotiating. They asked for details of the workloads so that their engineering staff could look into it. Waiting for a reply.

I agree about class actions, I prefer an individual action at Small Claims Court.

2 Likes

Intel suggested that I run without any patches / microcode updates if performance is an issue. I told them I would only do that if they insured me against Meltdown related security issues and optionally paid for security software and my time to evaluate it.

They have until February 10th to rectify this fault.

3 Likes

Any update here?

Sorry for the ultra slow response.

Intel didn’t respond. I took them to small claims court. They lost and bought me a new laptop and half a new PC, all AMD based of course.

5 Likes

Dude. Fucking lol

That’s amazing.

So they fucked you is what your saying? with or without lube?

Nah dude, looks like @kuro68k fucked Intel.

in what way thats chum change?

When you get a pc out of it, what did you want, 50k?

fair point… haha Just sucks that he needs to roll a whole new system for the server though?

I suppose, depends on the complexity of the install. If just swapping the storage is enough, I’d say it’s not a huge inconvenience.

Frankly, I see AMD as the better option, performance-wise, especially with the spectre/meltdown patches, so I’d say it’s a good deal.

1 Like

I should say that the PC was a Threadripper. Not cheap and a big upgrade over the Intel I had. I could have replaced my workstation and server with equivalent AMD machines, but decided instead to throw in some of my own cash and upgrade.

4 Likes

Sorry for the thread revival but… wait…what?

INTEL LOST IN COURT?

Can anybody say “legal precedent?”.

Surely?

So, say i have a fleet of 1200 machines impacted by meltdown, we just take intel to small claims and… free fleet upgrade?

:smiley:

Do you have any case number details?

1 Like

I’m not sure that small claims is the place for a fleet of 1200 machines, but yeah, probably.

Intel loses all the time. Remember the contra-revenue scheme they had? They lost that case, not that it was finished in a reasonable timeframe.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/small-claims-suits-how-much-30031.html

So assuming even a low price of $500 per unit, that’s still 600k, which is way out of the small-claims range for the US, however, OP is from the EU and @thro is from Australia, so those numbers may differ significantly.

1 Like