Intel i7 Ultra AIO/Tablet Idea Build and Thoughts

I hope to see more updates on the thread soon than (: Also you can message me if you'd like.
Have a nice time with your friends!

1 Like

Yeah once I get to my desk top and look up some of the alternatives I will update things.

You too happy new year.

1 Like

Happy new year to you too!

1 Like

I took a lookninto the DeskMini 110, pretty good. Would be perfect for one that is a little less of everything. A great all rounder, even a bit cheaper as the Skull Canyon thing is barebones. Part if me wants the mad power of Skull Canyon though even if it does cost more. Some really good options and features on it.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10404/asrock-deskmini-110-ministx-pc-review/3

Still onlynlight browsing on my phone.

The i5-6500 does really good against the 6770HQ mobile. I guess that if you max that out with the 6700 the Skullkanyon NUC gets demolished lol.

1 Like

This is true. And I looked at the spec and features on their website. http://www.asrock.com/nettop/Intel/DeskMini%20110%20Series/ it can take desktop i7 6700 and such. That would monster the 6770HQ. But the ports and options on the skull canyon NUC are way better. I can live with the slightly lower power it does not need to be the absolute best pocket x99 thing, as cool as that would be. The conecteveity with it being portable would one of the most important thing. The USB C on the Desk Mini is only 3.0 and not thunderbolt. The Skull Canyon is 3.1 and full 40gb thunderbolt 3.There are other things too it is just a little better on all the connectivity stuff.

For a more permenant home box the DeskMini is great with the 2.5 inch support and the 1 m.2. That was another thing. The Skull Canyons WiFi and other stuff is all on board. So the the 2 m.2 slots are both for storage on the Skull. On the desk mini one is keyed for the WiFi module and the other storage. All the little betters on connectivity adds up.

Edit: I am still in mobile so I will check at home. If there exists something with the 5x5 style of the deskmini and the CPU socketing with the level of connectivity of the skull that would be the best. And that slick form factor, ultra backpack portable.

I thought of doing something like this, but I might wait until Zen or Coffee Lake (depending on when I get to it or if I get to it), gotta have some GPU power, Intel HD 4400 hardly cuts it for me seeing new games come out.

If it's going to be mobile, then a desktop CPU is probably a bad idea unless it's like a 6700S or something.

Well the 6700 doesen't do that bad thermals wise. But surely, as you said, a lower TDP CPU will feel more comfortable for that purpose.

To be honest I think that all the options the Skull Canyon NUC offers are not really crucial, at least to me (a part from the Thunderbolt 3 port). One PCIe SSD is way more than enough for what that machine could do so even two of them is overkill. The AsRock is available with wifi and BT module installed so I guess that's also not an issue. Everything I said are all my personal opinions and I'm not paid by AsRock lel

2 Likes

Having 2 SSDs ain't so bad. The ASRock option is okay though.

Oh no everything you put forward is great and totally something I would use just in a different setting. I have kind of gotten an idea into my head now and am really sold on it. It has to be something drastically better to get my to switch.

Though if this project ends up taking too long or being to expensive I do definitely have a use for the desk mini at home in another role.

1 Like

18 days... it it done yet? lol

Kinda in line with my lust for a mobile pc, am interested in the outcome

my motto is "help you to help me be lazy" so I will help with a comment of

lol also this

I think both are streamed to it
but it does have a cool base, idk about transfer speed, to add a SSD or small HDD

Right now I am still planning to get the skull canyon nuc and touch screen. I want another small screen for my desktop anyway so I will pickup the screen first and check out the touch support.

All going well I will get the NUC after or start coming up with other options.

As always cash is short so plans for nice not exactly necessary PC are always secondary to real life, I still to plan this but time line is flexible.

1 Like

Update: This might take some time to actually be an useful update but I have news. You listening @MFZuul?

I have now ordered the screen. 1920x1200 10.1 inch and 10 point capacitive touch. It should be in a nice neat housing but there are other discrepancies in the description of the item. Anyone wondering the link is in the original post. The shipping time is going to be about a month but hopefully closer to two weeks, that's why the update may take a while.

First thing is hooking it up to my desktop when it gets here to test the touch screen. I all ready use rainmeter for monitoring performance and keeping an eye on things like temps, usage and free space and have for a while been wanting to do a proper The Next Generation style LCARS panel. It should end up with all the information complete with graphical niceities like fading a menu items out to show details underneath, like general CPU and load and then fade to show individual core usage and other stats. With this being a touch screen it should work out well, if it is all as advertised. So that should be a decent test and get me back to cleaning the unworking junk off my current set up.

Now the waiting. Waiting with the promise of things to come.

1 Like

Yessssssss

1 Like

I thought that might get a little attention. I had made one before using the colours and font but it was too small and not the right style. It did not look Star Trek but it did teach me a few things about layout for interactive skins.

I have had the idea for over a year but no reason to make it happen, now I do. Got the reference material too, someone make a Conky LCARS layout and it looks good and functional so I will be looking at things like that to help with this. I also need to completely relearn how to pull information into rainmeter, all that has changed a few times now. Want to try and do it with minimal 3rd party apps to pull from, if I can get all the information from windows itself and the registry with minimal screwing around and changing the text tomlook good I will. Other wise I have used 3rd part before and it functioned excellently so I know that is a good fall back.

1 Like

Developments: I had been hoping that a 7th gen of the Skull Canyon NUC with a 7700 variant i7.

Well it is here.

That link is just the first one I saw and am on mobile right now. It appears to be a direct update to the 6i7kyk version but I will have to check all the specs first. Oddly the newer one is cheaper on the same store than the older one, $530 vs $640 which is odd. So either the new 7th gen one because it is cheaper and has the same specs or the older one when it gets cheaper than 520.

Edit: Turns out this is one of the more traditional square NUCs instead of the skull canyon ones. It does have pretty much all of the same connectivity but only one m.2 and the CPU is an i7 7567u compared to the 6770HQ in the older one.

This also explains the price difference. So in will have to see whats up. Still want to skull canyon one more right now.

I always wanted to see a reasonably priced ultrabook with a true quad core i7 like the 6700HQ and above. I understand the frustration with the dual core U-Series i7s. there have good single core perf but for multi tasking, you can feel the lag with lots of chrome tabs and VMs..etc. There is also a problem with laptops that adopt quad core i7s, either they are too thick and ugly with GPU and good cooling and targeted towards gamers Or they come in cheap laptops gimped on the clocks and lack a proper cooling heat sink. Although you don't need that big of a heat sink to cool down a 48W TDP processor Yet no manufacturer seems to get it right. I've dealt with many laptops, most of them not taking more than 60% of that quad core chip due to lack of cooling.

The only ones who seem to get it right are Lenovo thinkpad series. but they're not perfect, no TB port nor a good gpu. so yeah.. i tihnk you're better off getting a nuc and a low profile display that suits your needs. but you need to get or design a solid chassis for both and that could be a challenge. since the displays you linked are too fragile to carry around.

that's just my opinion.
cheers.

Yes I have been considering this but have made no mention if it as I do not yet have the screen or nuc to check the sizes. I already want to attach the nuc to the back of the screen and the screen has 75x75mm mounts on it. So I intend to make some sort of plate or cage to mount the nuc to it, this can include a wider plate to support the entire back of the panel. I can paint it and make it look good. I did not include it but I have been planning it. Hopefully the screen arrives soon and I can get on with sourcing a nuc.

1 Like