Intel i219 LM possibly bricked, anyone got a flash memory image?

I have a motherboard with an Intel i219 LM NIC on it that is reporting PID FFFF and VID 8086. The PID looks wrong, and sure enough neither FreeBSD nor Windows 10 can recognize it and install a driver.

The only hope seems to be to remove the flash memory chip from the motherboard and load up a good copy of the firmware, but I don’t have one. As far as I know there are no public firmware updates for this part.

It’s a very long shot but does anyone have a working firmware image? Or an alternative idea for un-bricking it?

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a pci AIC?

1 Like

I didn’t think those adapters had upgradable firmware? Were you trying to cross flash another model firmware to unlock some features, or how would the firmware get corrupted?

1 Like

This is an SFF system so the only expansion option is an M.2 slot. I want to use it for pfSense so need two NICs, meaning that the M.2 slot is taken up by the other one.

If the firmware can’t be upgraded then the motherboard is dead. I got out my magnifying glass and the chip I thought might be a flash memory is actually just a MOSFET.

I wasn’t trying to cross flash it or anything like that, it was working and then it wasn’t.

ouch, that’s a bummer man.

USB 3.0 is plenty fast for gigabit networking, even several ports of gigabit ethernet, just throwing that out as an option.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was thinking about trying it. The pfSense docs warn against it, but it might be okay.