Intel G4560T - supply issues

So on the 17th of June, I decided to order the parts for my NAS build to build another ZFS array (birthday gift to myself). I was able to order everything through amazon, except for the processor which was only listed on scan.co.uk. It’s now the 19th of August, and my processor still has not been “picked” yet:

Is anybody else experiencing such terrible supply issues? I read something about Intel “gimping” the supply of the pentiums to try and push people up onto the i3, but this was not a solution for me as I could not find a cheap, low TDP, i3 that supported DDR4 memory and had unbuffered ECC support (which surprisingly the Pentium had). If anyone can suggest an alternative for me, or sell me one, I would be grateful.

Unfortunately, all the other parts have arrived a long time ago now, so I don’t wish to change platform. I was pretty annoyed that AMD didn’t release a low TDP Ryzen 3 chip as I would have loved to go RED.

Uh you should get in contact with Scan, because they either sold you something they didn’t have in stock or some other weird shit is going on. Most places have been able to intermittently stock 4560 non-T variants in the US, but the “T” skew is rather new and has literally no price history on PcPartsPicker nor does it even have a Newegg page.

As an alternative, Skylake I3’s did support ECC UDIMMs. ECC was removed and relegated only to the pentium, celeron, and Xeon, with KabyLake. You can get some cheap I3 6300T’s on US ebay, although I’m not sure if there are as many options where you are located. Good luck!

I had that chip on my list of possibilities as well but to me it looks like the thing doesn’t really exist. I wasn’t able to find one in stock anywhere and today the chip isn’t even listed at german retail sites anymore. The non-T variant is up in price by almost 50% so it’s only real advantage is gone.

My advice: Go Ryzen and downclock the multi in UEFI.

I will second the option of downclocking, and add in a big drop in voltage. When I bought my Celeron, I dropped the voltage down as low as it would go and it runs fine at a much lower wattage. The whole machine ran at less than the advertised processor TDP, even under full load, including a 720 GT graphics card. My PicoPSU-80 + 60W Adapter Power Kit has no issues powering my system.

I haven’t done any readings with my Kill-A-Watt meter since adding in the GPU, but before I was getting ~30 watts idle and ~40 watts under the heaviest load I could find, which happened to be playing 0 A.D. I thought that was a really great result for the full system power draw without lowering the speed on a 53 W TDP processor.

The added expense and low availability of Intel’s T processors doesn’t make sense as long as you can find a suitable motherboard to adjust the speed and voltage to your liking. It is definitely a shame those Pentiums got their price jacked up. I had considered upgrading when I found out about them, but now I’m just going to wait for 10nm Pentiums to come out.

EDIT - Ryzen doesn’t have integrated graphics, so that is something to consider if you are looking to use it for a system that doesn’t need good graphics and you want to avoid the extra power usage.

You can get some cheap I3 6300T’s on US ebay, although I’m not sure if there are as many options where you are located.

Yeah, I’d happily swap to a slightly older i3, but unfortunately the i3 6300t is over twice the price here in the UK :frowning:

Unfortunately it’s too late now as I’ve already got the motherboard here, which is an Asrock E3V5 WS DDR4 motherboard. I quite like the fact that it officially supports ECC memory. I had a look around on the AM4 boards and it was hard to get this message for the manufacturers. It usually ended up being a test-result that it was okay from users on the more expensive X370 boards such as the Taichi which is twice the price.

Amazon usually has a great service and giving them a call might be the easiest way out of the corner you put yourself into.

Asus is listing ECC support on all of their AM4 motherboards, even on the Prime B350M-A which comes in a lot cheaper than your ASRock.

I’ve cancelled my order with scan after finding it being sold by Amazon itself for only slightly more. I hope amazon will have slightly more “buying power” and will fulfill my order within a month.

I notice that the only item I didn’t buy through amazon is the only item I had an issue with… In future I will just wait until things are listed on Amazon.

1 Like

A ryzen 65 watt processor averages around 35 to 45 up to around 70 percent load… then it goes up to barely 65 watt … LOL the ryzen power platform isnt very hungry

Indeed AMD has come a long way. But compare that with the pentium, which is rated at just 35 watts and I’m guessing idles at 17.5 watts.

Since this is a 24/7 NAS every little makes a noticeable difference, especially as I run multiple servers and keep adding more. A computer running at 35 watts all the time would cost me £38.325 per year in electricity (12.5p per kwh here in UK, and that was a good deal using a comparison site). That combined with the ECC official support made me go with Intel for now.

If someone is just building one computer for working/gaming and will switch it off when not in use, I would say ignore the power difference for sure.

The idle on the Pentium is likely much lower than that based on what I found with my current g3258. I realize its apples to oranges comparing to a newer, smaller process, but even with the higher 53w TDP my system idles below that (assuming I don’t have a million background things like I normally do), and idle power use has likely improved since Devils canyon rather than gotten worse.

That said for the bigger boy processors, AMD have gotten much more competitive on power draw\heat than they every used to be, and I see it as a continuing trend. I don’t think Intel is going to be overtaken by AMD or anything like that, but I think due to the performance plateau we are seeing with traditional lithography and max efficient clock-speeds the gap will get progressively less between the two.

guess what my ryzen 7 spends alot of time at ? 17.4 watt idle… also most of the power worries can be alleviated via standby and shutting down the system when not in use

also when i mentioned ryzen 3 you also realize it has two more physical cores then the G4560T its an apples to oranges comparison and the fact that it operates nearly as efficiently kind of makes it a no brainer

Well there are a few more speed and efficiency cows that AMD can milks… one she can get better at caching… two she can improve the infinity fabric and three she can go after optimizing the architecture a little more by having high end software do so… not to mention improve the clock frequencies…

you know whats sad a stock r7 at a much lower clock speed then intel gets close and sometimes beats intel LOL… like what? imagine if they could overclock as far… hot damn that would be fast

I’m not knocking the Ryzen chips. My workload is a 24/7 NAS thus:

• I can’t switch it off.
  • I don’t need that much mutlithraded compute performance and the power of 2 additional cores
  • I only care about total power usage not performance-per-watt.

In that case, I ordered two used Xeon E3 1220L-v3 for 35,- bucks a pop from China. 13W TDP, two cores, four threads.

3 Likes

Thats pretty awesome. Please link. At that price I could build some spares for the future. Perfect for a nas at 1.1ghz, but for others who may wish to know, the pentium is 2.9 ghz.

I take it this is it?

Screenshot (464)
Microcenter in Jersey thanks to these guys :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Different seller but basically yes.