Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

Can’t wait for this to get applied to 0.1% of devices.

2 Likes

Excellent point.

Yikes.

I got 8 popular links from just this one thread alone. That has never happened before.

Y’all are clicking like crazy. :smiley:

3 Likes

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

1 Like

Currently doing some benchmarks (Superposition Benchmark) on a 3930k pre and post.
i have removed the overclock to see the worst.

I just tried to install the update finding that the PC had updated to the Fall update. God Fucking Damit Microsoft.

I will re run the some of the benchmarks to see if i need to rerun all.
if i have time, i may be able to do LGA 771/775 benchmarks on the weekend. aka 10+ yeas ago

I gave up it never burns. Remember this

Its always separation of church and state err kernel and user land. We seem to get by in the end cause Facebook and twitter :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I do remember something like that, a podcast covered it pretty well. 256 random locations is not a big search space in early iterations of ASLR. Is it still like that?

Seperation of kernel and user? Too slow. Microsoft loves putting things in the kernel. People demand fast loading webpages. And webpages are full of javascript to push adverts. We look at adverts and buy stuff. So really we are to blame.

1 Like

This is very similar where user-land get access to kernel pages when the CPU should through an exception error like AMD does. Intel doesnt.

Then there is reaper :slight_smile: still similar and a x64 issue maybe but needs another fix which I dont have info on .

Same info from start of year year recap on kernel and page tables.

Down into to problem intel has starts about hear in the same video. Where there hardware not checking ring levels ie 3 user space. 0 kernel and -3 IME.
1 Like

Yup thats where I heard about it last time. I haven’t watched/listened to this one yet. Maybe this weekend.

Except Intel stocks aren’t falling, in fact they are currently going up…

here are the results. Pre Patch

post patch

so there is a little decrease at 1080p but not at 8K
and it’s not running crossfire, Humm
only one benchmark but still.

So patch is already prepared for older versions?

Yep for enterprise.
for home Manual install win 10 is via https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056892

patch is
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4056892/windows-10-update-kb4056892

2 Likes

In civilized countries this is called insider trading and a criminal offense.

2 Likes

I was rather thinking about Windows 7, Vista and maybe XP. A LOT of institutions and companies still run windows 7.

1 Like

Cert doesn’t mess about :laughing:

12 Likes

Not true, it’s currently at 45,26 USD. June last year it was at 33,46 USD.

Similar on German stock exchanges.

Yep we have our windows 7 updates already. but not going to deploy them before next week. As we believe we have AV issues and that might require update first.

Heres with windows 8.x + 2012
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4056898

Looking for the windows 7 manual install Microsoft not helpful lol

Fellow Aussie and benchmark king.

2 Likes

Looks like some news outlets are putting them all in the same boat (as intel probably hoped for when they crafted their pr piece).