Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

Excuse me sir do you have a moment to talk about FreeBSD?

5 Likes

You keep on plugging away BSD :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ya know, I never really gave FreeBSD it’s fair scratch. I think I’ll have to do that this year.

3 Likes

The installation is a bit in the face, after that, it is smooth CLI-sailing.

Freebsd is nice. but various “linux-isms” in desktop software are making it annoying and awkward to use for desktop.

For server, if you’re command line savvy it’s sweet. It uses MAKE for a lot in some ingenious ways. The only major reason I’m not running more of it and phasing it out is due to third party vendor support - things like backup agents, etc.

In the enterprise, despite my distaste for all things GNU it’s just easier to run with CentOS.

I do think more linux users should give FreeBSD a fair shake though. It does things much more “the unix way” with scripts and make, rather than monolithic applications. The seperation of base and ports is nice, too. You can run a stable base OS and install the latest ports. unlike in linux land where if you want the latest version of XYZ you typically need to update at least half (or the entire) box to bleeding edge.

He’s starting to catch my interest.

Okay, this thread has clearly run it’s course. If a new major news item regarding hardware security happens, we can do the same thing, open a new thread for it.

Good night, sweet prince.

2 Likes