Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

Oh, they’re looking really good. Especially if you can’t afford a GPU. (that said, I’d love to see an 8-core with Vega Inside™

4 Likes

Vegaripper? :laughing:

5 Likes

there is 2 extra “dummy” dies left :thinking:

3 Likes

RX Vega crossfire on die anyone?

1 Like

They’re not dummy dies. They’re full dies, according to DerBauer.

just dead dies from the sounds of it.

Eh, maybe.

They aren’t electrically active, see his fluid cooling video. Or at least not active enough to heat up. I don’t know why he didn’t just use a thermal camera though, those are way cheaper than special cooling fluids.

1 Like

Ah, good to know. Most recent I saw was the one attempting to boot EPYC in a TR board.

IIRC someone pointed out that he eventually tried ECC in a non-ECC supporting board. So that’s kinda funny if true. Can’t see the forest for the trees sort of event.

Hmmm, does that indicate we might be able to get epyc on socket TR4? If so, 24 cores of goodness, here I come!

I mean, AFAIK the boards are not wired for octo-channel memory or the extra PCIe connectivity. So I would think not.

I’m not sure how memory communication works, electrically, but I would assume there’s some sort of switching that happens on the motherboard level. If so, we might be able to get away with running an 8-channel capable chip on a 4-channel board.

It makes me laugh how forgiving we are the to computer industry, could you imagine a car manufactor getting away with this.

Day One:
Ford today announces that every car made by us, for the last 12 years has a weakness where if someone stands next to your car in a certain way the doors unlock.

Day Ninety:
Ford today announces a fix to the problem effecting every car made by them in the last 12 years.

Day Ninety Two
But turns out the fix might make your car stop working randomly at any moment, so enjoy driving on the freeway.

Day One Hundred
A new fix has been announced which hopefully solves the “engine cut out” problems but will reduce all fords power by 10 to 20% of it horsepower. We are not sure if this actually solves the original problem

All ford customers “WE WANT OUR FUCKING MONEY BACK!!!”

1 Like

Nice analogy. Now imagine 80% of all cars driving around today were fords and the only other company to build cars is Volvo.

4 Likes

Good analogy, but I definitely think this:

is more like:

But it turns out the fix might make your car spontaneously lock itself to the ground instantaneously going from X MPH to 0.

What are you implying?

Not really anything brand specific, just wanted one that is not known for global scale mass production.

Yeah, Volvo is a good choice in that case.

I’ve got a lot of friends who are seriously into Volvo. They can definitely make some good cars.

And their commercials were hilarious. Remember the 90’s (maybe 80’s) ones where they drove a car into a dry dock to prove how strong they were?

We have redesigned parts of the processor to introduce new levels of protection through partitioning that will protect against both Variants 2 and 3. Think of this partitioning as additional “protective walls” between applications and user privilege levels to create an obstacle for bad actors.

These changes will begin with our next-generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors (code-named Cascade Lake) as well as 8th Generation Intel® Core™ processors expected to ship in the second half of 2018. As we bring these new products to market, ensuring that they deliver the performance improvements people expect from us is critical. Our goal is to offer not only the best performance, but also the best secure performance.

As predicted somewhere up this thread. Intel has been hard at work.

Hardware mitigations as of 2H 2018. :smiley:

Note how I say ‘mitigations’, these are still not perfect fixes.