Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

The ISO is a free download on M$ servers. As long as USB is supported as boot device, you can deal with that. And pretty much every linux user knows how.

2 Likes

Yea now win 10 is free itā€™s different, Im talking back in the win 7 days. Still sucks though.

Itā€™s not free. They get to own your life as data.

2 Likes

is it still free? I thought they ended the whole free thing a while ago.

1 Like

For a BIOS update it will work just fine and that was the important part here.

Ah, this is true.

But my virgin linux boxes :frowning: I am to much of linux nub. I can not ever remembering seeing anything for Bios updating via linux.

I would like to see a proper topic how to deal with spectre and meltdown issues yes.
With all the information for windows and linux users.
clear links to the patches and all that.

Clean topic without blur. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve given up on stuff like that, itā€™s all drama and memes.

Well, it seem that even in BIOS updates topic there are some fishy things going on. Here is response from ASROCK when i send them a msg that users report that MSI bios updates DO WORK for Spectre even tough their release dates are dated before official Intel microcode releaseā€¦

2 Likes

Shows how our overlords are just people.

Ass covering is 101 if you need a jerb :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been casually pointing out nonsense regarding Spectre & Meltdown on youtube comments as I watch certain things, trying to push towards the reasonable neutral ground.

The attitude Iā€™ve been getting from almost every side of that audience is vile, hateful, vitriol in addition to demonstrating a complete lack of or willingness to learn the technical fundamentals and nuances.

Usually everyone seems to wrapped up in a blind panic writing whatever suits their agenda while being in denial about or ignoring the reality of their respective chosen side.

Far too many have also taken to the intel PR whataboutism of ā€œHeap everyone in the same bucketā€.
Whataboutism being a particularly powerful PR tactic that has also taken root in the general american political landscape.

4 Likes

Cant agree more with you. There are some fanboys who will defend some companies even though their guilt is clear. There are others that will use some facts about those guilts with full rage even though that case is not black and white. Those two sides of the line seems to polarize more and more in the disscussions

And most of people forgot that it is all about us - customers. If we close eyes on some practices then companies will can do everything they want without being afraid that there will be any change in customers population (Apple, Razer, Monster beats etc have such confidence). From other side there are companies that want to use information chaos for their advantage.

PS. Facebook MSI Gaming (Poland) coordinator apologized to me for cenzorship of my comments and he claim that many people have acces to their page (technical stuff, event agencies and remote marketing workers) and he wont be able to track who was responsible for deleting those comments. But he admited that this is very bad bractice as in case of any issues main thing they would do is to contact with MSI Tech stuff and respond accordingly to such doubts. Whether is true or not, im convinced.

3 Likes

For those wondering if theyā€™re affected by Spectre, Meltdown or the reduced performance of the patch, Steve Gibson wrote this nice little standalone program to test your machine.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

Looks like Iā€™m not quite there yet.

Valentine InSpectre

5 Likes

Apparently I have not received any Spectre patches yet:

Scroll down, the reason is likely explained in the text. Itā€™s customized based on your results and PC specs apparently. Clever stuff.

I did, it explained, I mostly knew already though :grin:

I like it, simple wins most of the time.

2 Likes

This sucks!

One of the joys of running Linux is when something like this happens you get to point at Windows users and go ā€œtee hee heeā€.

Now, thatā€™s ruined.

1 Like

Not really. Just buy Ayyymd.

Besides, CPU Microcode patches are doable on Linux, and UEFI is self-updating.

1 Like

Interesting.

(Timestamped)

1 Like