Intel FUBAR ... again - Kernel memory leak in nearly every Intel CPU of the last decade (Spectre hits everyone, Meltdown still Intel exclusive)

Makes me glad that I have forced my people( normal people that depend on me to keep them going ) on it then… tho ? I feel bad for using them as test subjects as I am unwilling to jump on this.

so

1. documentation is released detailing the exploit at length and how to set up an attack

2. ms only patching windows 10…

not that I care as my machines are all w10, but my machine at work is still windows 7 (basically we cant afford to upgrade :frowning:)

AMD’s press release.

https://www.amd.com/en/corporate/speculative-execution

2 Likes

In other words

Suck it Intel!

Suck it long and suck it hard

4 Likes

I had to wait so long for them to release a statement so i could backup my earliest statements on this thread.

But now you know. :slight_smile:

But that said I’m kind of disappointed that google chose to publish so soon ahead of the previously agreed NDA.

I understand how it is. Thanks for the nibbles though. Made for a fun day.

1 Like

Arch is already poised to remove PTI and so is Manjaro. Im sure many will follow suit. The only ones who might drag feet are the usual feet draggers…i.e Ubuntu/Mint/Debian. Luckily it won’t effect most userspace activities so the year it takes for Ubuntu to make it to 4.16 kernal won’t cause too many problems.

The important thing is that we don’t get an ISO without this workaround. That’s just bad for business.

I came away with a little better understanding of how little I understand. The reason why I am here.

1 Like

That would only effect people who don’t have a net connection and tbh any vulnerability is going to be exploited via the net anyway. Because on install a Distro will update with the latest patches.

Fedora doesn’t update on install, dunno about debian based.

I don’t mean ‘auto update’ like windows I mean the icon shows updates and a banner appears to say ‘updates available’ . Every ubuntu based distro i have used does this, as does manjaro, antergos, neon etc… But debian is more of a manual process for things anyway and even though it’s stable it’s not for noobs so your probably right about debian.

OH SHIT.

Hot off the chan:

Nvidia GPU’s are reliant on syscalls while AMD (since GCN 1.1 or so) have had a dedicated pipeline for this. This means they’ll see a performance degradation when paired with a vulnerable CPU due to the Intel Meltdown patch.

Nvidia + Intel = both take a performance hit
Nvidia + AMD = neither take a performance hit

http://boards.4chan.org/g/thread/64125824#p64127406

Not sure if we can trust this, but big if true.

The more I read about this, the more it makes sense.

Intel cancels upcoming CPU:

Might of been the understatement of the decade :slight_smile: It was not gonna sell well anyway, regardless.

I could not make through the autism… looking for this to be verified somewhere else.

4 Likes

needs a bigger soda.

1 Like

3 Likes

Oh god

Just a thought.

ARM affected.

AMD PSP is running on ARM.

PSP needs to die.

Amazon… is that you ?

mmmmm I am on lockdown. So let the drama begin…

2 Likes