Intel E10G42BTDA Server Adapter X520-DA2

I bought 2 pairs of these network adaptors for a server project. (I actually forgot I bought 2 originally a few months ago)

I get 2 in and put them in a server running proxmox. r730xd. I can not get either one to work with fiber transceivers. (both ubiquity and 10gtek). I did get it to work with a 10Gtek copper 10gb transceiver. Nothing seems to be in dmesg related to the transceivers not working…

I was about to give up but found the box of the same nics that I bought a few months ago. Stuck one in - it sees the network transceivers and jsut works. (I had tried the nic in a workstation running debian initally and when I plugged in the fiber transiever - it just worked also) the only f’ing issue was the nic wasn’t approved buy dell (even though the same model) and it ramped the fans up. Took a bit of fiddling but I was able to disable the systems cooling response to third party cards.

anyway - I threw the one of the first sets of cards in the same workstation that worked and first off - it only seens half the computer memory with it installed. (the other pair of nics didn’t cause this problem) when it boots and I plug in a sfp+ tranciever I get

[ 70.937935] ixgbe 0000:02:00.1: failed to initialize because an unsupported SFP+ module type was detected.
[ 70.937945] ixgbe 0000:02:00.1: Reload the driver after installing a supported module.
[ 70.938193] ixgbe 0000:02:00.1: removed PHC on enp2s0f1

Is there a way to flash a different firmware onto this nic?

Like I say - the 2 pairs of nics seem to be physically identical.

thanks
sam

The ixgbe module can take a allow_unsupported_sfp option, try rmmod’ing it, then modprobe ixgbe allow_unsupported_sfp=1 - put it in a /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf file if it works.

I will play with that… The other big issue is it seems to screw with memory. (the two nics I just bought) The internet says this is common with this model. (But like I say I have 2 that work just fine)

sam