Intel Begins Teasing Their Discrete Graphics Card

More likely, 16k 14hz monitors.

Jokes aside is there going to be any real discussion in this thread or only the now meta intel bashing

Having another option in the market is always nice.

There’s nothing to discuss yet other than the announcement. It’s all speculation. Based on historical precedent, i do not expect intel to be competitive.

What I’d really like to see, rather than Intel going for power is a discreet Intel display adaptor. The Imagine a small form factor PC with a low profile Intel card with like, 4 displayport sockets. It would be a productivity beast.

Excuse me, sir.

Comedic comments are easier to make than that of discourse with substance.

Memes or discussion, that tis the choice.

What are they teasing? The GPU isn’t supposed to be out until 2020, IIRC.

2 Likes

A productivity beast how so? It won’t have the horsepower to drive 4 high end displays (and won’t have the power for EXTREME MEGATASKING ( ® Intel 2017), so why not just plug a single large 4k display with 4x the resolution/screen area into a single port?

5GHz!

/s

That looked like loads of stock pictures or items that were all vaguely mechanical related, thinking cad tie ins, I don’t think it is anything to do with the actual fan on the card.

The thing that annoyed me with the toting of “being the first with Netflix in 4k”, when that was some shady back room deal to make it exclusive, other hardware could do this fine but was locked out.

@ImprovizoR Teasing hype.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more, if anything I’m a bit sceptical about the end result, personally…

Integrated into a CPU? Of course not. But a beefed-up version with on a dedicated card with a higher TDP and proper cooling? I don’t see why not.

1 Like

Old Radeon HD series cards could do 6 so i don’t see why not at all these days, pretty much all discreet GPUs can do 4 displays.

I want to know whether they’re working on properly scaling the HD/UHD graphics, or if they’re working on an entirely new architecture.

The latter would probably make more sense, but I don’t see them trying to compete in the high end at the beginning. Probably something with a similar scalability to Polaris/Vega, in that it’s much more efficient at lower TDPs.

Intel has modems? I never seen one. And did not Wendell say that optane SSDs will be great for Data centre because of higher durability?

They are an odd thing their modems, I don’t think/hope they do t take off. They moved the actual WiFi chip part to the CPU had just have an M.2 style socket that basically an antenna breakout plugs into. So only Intel wireless, it most people want Intel wireless anyway, just seems a bit of a slap for choice.
You can still use your own WiFi card but then you are paying for two unavoidable as you can’t ask for the CPU with out the wireless built in. And you have to use up a different slot as I think the one for the antenna is only useful for the Intel.thing and not just a general WiFi card as it is wired to the on chip WiFi.

Could have some of that wrong, they did not seem to get much coverage outside motherboard reviews briefly mentioning them, never seen them used.

They do modems for the iPhone… so… not a big market I guess.
As for PCs they have been doing the WiFi/Bluetooth thing since forever, especially for laptops.

It’s not modems as in cable modems or whatever.

Be me
Known for hating on Intel
is eager for this to be released
Maybe
doesn’t hate Intel, but hates lack of progress

:thinking: This is what I’ve been reading from some people on this thread. Glad to see some people are reasonable.

Here, I’ll give you a reason to lock this thread

Eh, it’s not that bad yet. I’ll keep an eye on it.