Intel awaits outcome of appeal against €1bn antitrust fine

Appeal ruling is Wednesday so inb4 anyone else posts a thread :smiley:

If they lose that appeal (and I think they will) and I think this & next year are going to be a very bad year for intel (alongside actual competition for the first time in ages).

and if they win the appeal, or if the outcome seems like nothing more than a wrist slap, then its a huge blow against consumers… and we should just suck it up and get used to monopolies being the norm.

4 Likes

1 billion is not a real hit for intel they will pay it and move on. Intels earnings Last year alone where $59.4 billion.

yep. they paid almost 1 billion a year to dell alone.

this is pocket change to them but some serious funding AyyyyMD needs

3 Likes

I don’t believe any of the money goes to AMD.

1 Like

if thats the case then damn that sucks

I want to see this happen just so I can grab some popcorn and watch more of Intel turning out to be the petulant child we all knew they are. But I already know that at the end of the day they are sitting on more money than any antitrust fine could significantly chip away at.

It’s so good to see that Ryzen and Threadripper so far are delivering on all their promises and Intel is so rapidly shitting the bed.

3 Likes

I am hoping that they add 9 years of compounded interest (which is what intel have had with this stalling tactic) to that 1bn :smiley:

The most I am hoping for out of this is bad publicity and more public awareness of amd as a brand.

4 Likes

I know for a fact that software (Operating systems) can interfere with other systems. Denying read/write, overwriting bootloaders etc. Wondering if the same is happening on a firmware level. With Intel it’s very probable.

It is really hard to justify an anti-trust fine when:

This is sooooo overturned.
Real anti-trust actions are what was done to Ma Bell and Standard Oil, this is just judicial larceny.

Not quite sure I get your logic… but I not not as well versed in law :smiley:

…Just spent the last 5 minutes googling ‘Judicial Larceny definition’ :stuck_out_tongue:

so because amd has managed to somehow survive and turn things around a little (at least according to one regions e-tailer) then intel is not somehow a monopoly which has frequently indulged in monopoly like practices?

I am trying to think of the best analogy I can but failing really bad…

“Hey we did some REALLY bad stuff years ago but look at them, they survived it and are doing better than they have EVER done, if you think about it… that means they owe their success to our competition!”

1 Like

Or we can just buy AMD and stick it to intel.

2 Likes

Their yearly net income is 10B, operating 12B (meaning they spent 50B … on stuff), and they have 60B in equity (piggy bank/wallet) likely as a measure of preventing takeovers, or maybe they just have it set aside for a rainy day. (6:1 cash:net income is not unheard of in tech but a lot compared to regular less risky business)
1B would go out of 60B unless they already have it set aside as part of operating income to avoid having to pay taxes on it.

Not really how that works. This case is based on stuff Intel did years to directly end AMD.

While AMD are doing well now, and that is good, they got their on their own merits, not by paying off other companies to not use Intel’s parts.

Intel still fucked up, still committed massive anti competitive acts and still deserve to be punished for them in some form, even if just as a token victory as $1B is nothing to intel really.

Subtlety. Even when used well, it causes people to miss what was meant.

So anyway, the point is that this drop-in-the-bucket anti-trust verdict is allowing Intel to perform larceny by using the judicial system against AMD because time is very valuable in tech. If Intel can steal time using the court system in exchange for a mesely 1 Billion, well, how much revenue did Intel secure by edging out AMD over the duration of the court ruling and by dragging out the appeal? 200 Billion? 300?

The irony is of course that because AMD sales are on the rise due to their newest CPU lines, there is a chance that Intel could get the ruling overturned because clearly, if AMD isn’t completely dead then Intel must not have hurt AMD at all. “This is sooooo overturned.” :- (

The case won’t get overturned, as Zibob pointed out. The EU does not put up with this type of shennanigans as much as US courts. But still:

1B was a bargain for Intel, and hence they are motivated to do it again. A real ruling would be 60B paid directly to AMD with a 6 month appeal court-date, which would have passed 9.5 years ago or forcefully splitting the company in two.

2 Likes