Although I don’t use VDI, I am using GPU Passthrough, so all I need to do now is flash the vBIOS of the Flex 170 to the A770 16G, right?
Then it’s just a matter of waiting for the XE driver with SR-IOV support to be merged into the mainline? I really don’t want to use out-of-tree drivers.
They can fix that, not entirely useless for those of us who want to game in windows VMS, unless by hardware encoding you mean something other then the media engine?
I’ve been following the Linux devel side, and it unfortunately looks like DG2 is no longer interesting to Intel, they’ve basically excluded it from all their new Xe driver stuff, and it will stay stuck on the ancient i915 driver forever.
With that in mind, can we get some info about the hard mod to Flex 170 now? The initial hype wave seems to have receded, and it’s probably the only useful thing left to do with this A770.
I believe so as well, but if it were the original Flex 170, what driver should be used to meet our needs? Should it be i915, the new Xe, or some other driver that is exclusive for datatcenter GPUs?
As far as I undersand, we want HW encoders and SR-IOV operational at the same time and on the same DG2-based device.
i915 driver supports HW encoders but does not really support SR-IOV for Arc GPUS.
Xe driver is designed with SR-IOV in mind, but barely supports Arc and does not enable HW enc/dec acceleration on Arcs.
So the questions as I see it are as follows:
if we had an original Flex 170 at our disposal, which has identical GPU chip to A770 and is obviously DG2, could we use both SR-IOV and HW encoders at the same time?
if so, what driver would we need? It is i915 I assume?
Which means that there’s a check in the driver itself, some branch that checks e.g. DeviceId and either enables or disables virtualisation based on that check. Kinda like the check that gives off Error 43 in NVidia drivers in Windows. In that case OS config might not suffice, it might require some reverse engineering of driver to identify where the check is and if it can be, well, bypassed.
On the other hand in April @Forge wrote that out-of-tree driver didn’t appear to have Device Id check, but didn’t really work on more recent kernels. I wonder if that’s the same for Flex 170.
thats awful
i had hope for this whole thing but with the driver development being… what it is
and intel themselves confirming they’re gonna be winding down arc…
man the one thing i thought intel had going for me seems like its gonna be gone
If Alchemist is any indication, I’d expect desktop Battlemage (B770?) to be segmented out of SR-IOV from server Battlemage the same way Flex 170 is segmented from A770.
Hey, it’s been a year, and the A770 as such seems quite a dead end. I’ve got an unused A770 and an SPI flasher here, can you point me to a nice Flex 170 dump, so I can ruin my card or make it useful again?