Intel and AMD team up against Nvidia to produce a new laptop chip

This.

The GPU in these is double the size of RR. It isn’t integrated into the die or anything.

2 Likes

I mean even if there weren’t patents I’m assuming it would be very difficult for them. nVidia and AMD have long standing product lines and know how to make this stuff as well aa having application support

Intel would be starting essentially from square one. While they could develop a GPU and the support required for it to be successful this is easier and cheaper.

and we all know how cheap and lazy intel can be when it comes to developing new products. Just look how long they drug out 14nm 4 core 8 thread consumer processors before amd kicked them in the ass this year.

1 Like

Didn’t we predict this a year ago, if not more?

This was predicted just about once a month it seems. Only this time it’s actually true.

I, for one, welcome our new American Micro Intel Devices overlords!

5 Likes

AMINTELCES!

Really, forum? Is this a complete sentence? OF COURSE NOT!

Also that’s Advanced Micro Devices…

This is a very interesting product, but you have to wonder how much it’s going to cost. Full-sized CPU, full-sized GPU, and HMB all in one package…there is no way that’s going to be cheap. And it’s also power hungry. So it’s going after a different market than Raven Ridge, though you do have to wonder why AMD couldn’t have done this all on their own with Ryzen. I guess the EMIB stuff is Intel’s tech…

There’s definitely a market for this though. Expect to see some slim gaming notebooks that actually get decent performance. Also expect to pay for it.

Glue is love, glue is life.

7 Likes

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2314568

I’m just going to say that in the long run, this was not a smart move for AMD’s new mobile chips and I will let time explain it.

This CPU has between an RX560 and RX570 Vega based iGPU.

I however also know AMD is releasing a bigger mobile chip than 2500U and 2700U in the future…

1 Like

But then again this was entirely made possible by Radeon Technologies group being split off from AMD Proper.

2 Likes

I believe that the amount they would need to spend on patents, engineer and fab have always put them off seriously stepping into the GPU ring.

So I said this was happening a month or so ago and everyone denied it. Even on this forum people said they weren’t going to do it. But now it is confirmed by intel and amd.

So I want to say I told your ass so!

Anyways this is a step in the direction amd wants to go. Using AMD cpu and gpu now Intel cpu and AMD gpu. AMD will be having a great future.

It is happening! Whoot! It is really happening… I am not trying to rub it in. I just want you to know it is happening!

1 Like

Here’s some more info…
It’s not full Vega, it’s not even half Vega… Actually it’s about half Vega 56… But anyways…

Its the intel vega chip thing. @Kat linked it earlier today in the lounge. I’m pretty sure, about 80%, that its to make apple shut up.

Dont worry they will tank soon, AMD isnt allowed to have good days according to the stock market

3 Likes

So maybe this will result in a new “Gaming” NUC like the Skull Trail ones. MIght be interesting.

best thing about the skull trail nucs was the skulls on it

3 Likes

And the CPU is really quite good.

Hmm, this could mean a lack of dGPU to go with an iGPU and since AMD still didn’t put SR-IOV on their consumer level cards yet, running VMs with hardware passthrough on laptops might not happen unless I opt in for something crappy.

That said an R9 280 level GPU is pretty decent to have. Which seems most likely where this GPU stands.