Intel/amd

talking about cpus is the whole unit 64 bit or is each core inside the unit 64 bit?

Isn't 64-bit just the CPU's relation to it's memory bus and how much total memory it can access?

what I was thinking is yea its to its relation to memory but it has to go to memory first but ive always thought the cpu itself was 64 bit too as like a memory module stick is 64 bit too so if I had 2 64 bit memory modules the would be 128 bits I could send to the cpu in one clock cycle as the same thing for gpu too we have 64 bit 128,256,512 etc gpus so what is it the whole unit together 64 bit or is each core inside the unit 64 bit.

A bit is a unit of measurement for data, not physical hardware. CPU's aren't 64bits they are just compatible with software that uses a 64bit wide data unit.

so tell me this is a cpu it self able to read more than 64 bits at a time?

Current Intel and AMD desktop/laptop processors can only do 64bit right now, there is nothing above that.

what I'm trying to say yea it says 64 bit but you can buy a single core 64 bit so if you have a quad core wouldn't you be able to process more than 64 bits at a time since you have 4 cores that process 64 bits at a time

and also is the memory controller bottlenecking because it can only process 64 bits at a time since the cpus can process more than 64 bits but the memory controller is only sending 64 bits

I think someone more versed in the world of computer science should really answer that. But based on what I know, the answer is more complicated than you think. The term 64bit is just indicating the size of the data unit being transmitted from place to place, so in theory, yes a multi core CPU is processing more than one chunk of 64bit data at a time.

As for RAM, it really depends on the pipeline being used, wider pipelines to and from and within the memory controller and the memory itself can most definitely process more than one chunk of 64bit data at a time.

Bottlenecks arise when one piece of hardware is waiting for another to finish its processing, this is based on many things, clock speed, cache, threads, cores, etc.

so if I have a 256 bit video card and a quad core I technically want 4 sticks of ram that way I can send 256 bits at one time?

No, it doesn't work that way.

Since each core is a proper CPU every core have one or more (in case of hyperthreading) ALU and FPU mapped to work on double-precision values (64-bit). The ability to process those kind of values allows the system to map a wider portion of memory (2^64 bit). @Streetguru The memory bus is not related to the quantity of memory that can be drive by the system. A wider BUS measured in bit is useful just to transfer more data and it's useful especially for GPUs because they have a lot of low power cores (CUDA cores o Stream Processors) doing small calculation but really really fast and to keep them efficient need to be feed with data as quickly as possible. The CPU is the opposite way: it's designed to work on really big and complex data so trasfering data back and forth is not as frequent as is in GPUs.