Intel 8th Gen Core 'Kaby Lake-R' CPUs Debut on 21st August

I haven’t looked into it too much care to elaborate

Well, as it stands now, node size is largely marketing. 14nm, 7nm, 10nm… It really doesn’t measure what it claims to be anymore. Intel’s processes are more advanced and closer to a true nm size.

For example TSMC is producing a “12nm” chip which is basically just tweaked 14nm. No shrinkage but they are marketing it as though it is.

So GloFo’s 7nm is actually much closer to Intel’s 10nm in performance. Maybe slightly better. Not as much as you’d expect from a smaller node size

Well actually about smaller node sizes… 14 nm was about the end of major performance increases. Now we are looking at power and efficiency. We need to consider redesigning logic. Adding more heuristically adaptable logic units. Actually if you look at a die its pretty cool looking… Kinda looks like a tree or a mushroom… As we kinda see with the ryzen cpu having those odd shaped units. Intel is going to push serial coding speed. While I feel AMD might go the route of optimizing logic. Hopefully Jim Keller left some tips and presents haha…

i7-8550u has been spotted in the wild. 4C/8T 15W ULV chip - but the base clock has been reduced to 1.8GHz.

Acer has a few models listed on their website with 15W ULV parts. Confirming that they’re quad core.

Great. I was really starved for another Intel processor. It’s been a while. I don’t think that I’ve seen a new one in like a month. Maybe month and a half.

A Dutch review website has posted benchmarks of two notebooks with a i5-8250U and a i7-8550U:

keep in mind that the i5 system only has 4GB ram which won’t help in some benchmarks.

Mobile. Meh.

Least we saw the desktop SKUs.

i5 and i7. 6/6 and 6/12 respectively.

The 6/12 part could be a seriously compelling upgrade for many but requiring a new chipset despite the socket not changing will kill that for many.

Yup, and the resale value of all those chips-rebranded-as-core i3/i3.5s also just plummeted. Great time to be alive. :wink:

R is for Refresh.

It’s like Intel miss the days of competing with themselves only, so they have taking on fighting themselves to be the stupidest marketing department in tech.

And in typical Intel fashion they have something useful that could be good, but yet another socket change.

It’s especially lame too because it isn’t even a socket change. Still 1151 just requires a new chipset… raggghhh

I wonder if socket stickers might make a come back.

Too late for me, I am Amd’s bitch now :smiley:

Ryzen is enough for me.

Watching Intel completely lose their shit over the competition is hilarious. It’s been 10+ years coming and it’s absolutely delicious. This, THIS is the competition we all wanted!

Lol @ anyone thinking that 6 core Coffee Lake Desktop or quad core Coffee Lake laptop is an intel panic response, and not totally something that we’ve been speculating and predicting far, far before Zen or Ryzen was even a proven thing (or maybe even a thing?). Pretty sure it was the Haswell days when the initial speculation started that Coffee Lake would bring the 6 core to the desktop. They’re definitely rushing to get it out, but adding cores has been in the plans for a long ass time.