Intel 8th Gen Core 'Kaby Lake-R' CPUs Debut on 21st August

No doubt Intel will be shaking up their desktop and mobile lineups - possibly with 4C/4T i3s, 6C/6T i5s, and 6C/12T i7s. What remains to be seen is whether the i9 nomenclature will makes its way into the mainstream platforms, and how well Intel have done to keep up with the efficiency of Ryzen.

Since Coffee Lake is another refinement of the 6th Gen Skylake architecture, and they’ve claimed that there will be a 30% performance improvement in ULV parts at the same wattage, I’m expecting to see stock Turboboost speeds approaching 5GHz across the board.

2 Likes

That was sudden… Intel totally not panicing.

Apparently it will be an i3 4/4 with no turbo. I5 with 6/6 and i7 with 6/12. Interesting as it seems to make the 6 core X299 part irrelevant… We shall see.

More curious as to see what socket these will be available on. It is apparently 1151 but we don’t know what chipset. Assuming Z370. Maybe Z270 too. Which begs the question will it be on Z170 too? If it runs on Z270 it should. But Intel may be jerks.

Also expecting Ryzen price cuts.

I don’t. Unless Intel is not using their special miracle whip TIM anymore. Im dubious of their 30% claim.

3 Likes

Implying their TIM is better than mayonnaise haha

Hopefully they’ll start soldering again.

5 Likes

Mayonnaise would probably do a better job…

Lmao good joke. They are already lowering their margins with these and aren’t soldering X299 parts. I doubt we’d see it on mainstream.

3 Likes

Intels Xeon 8176 overshot its TDP in Anandtechs testing… I don´t believe a single word intel puts out.

I3’s will get 4 cores, and the OC’ing I3 is here to stay, leaves hope for an HT enabled Coffee Lake Pentium G.

2 Likes

That literally already exists.

Coffee lake is basically just Kaby Lake again. You can buy a HT Pentium right now.

2 Likes

We had some discussion in the other Coffee Lake thread.

Also,

The TL;DR is

• Socket 1151
  • Z370 chipset
    • USB 3.1 G1
    • Integrated audio out?
    • Thunderbolt 3.0
  • 4c/4t i3, 6c/6t i5, and 6c/12t i7
  • TDP about the same across the board (95W for i7 8700K)

Although the Z390 chipset sounds more interesting with USB 3.1 G2, 802.11ac R2, and BT 5.0 all being integrated into the chipset.

1 Like

It’ll probably be 30% in a multicore workload comparing a 4/8 7700k to a 6/12 8700k.

3 Likes

It does say ULV.

Ultra low voltage I’m assuming that means? What parts are those? prob just messed with clocks on the GPU or something lol

The ULV parts are the sub-15W ultrabook chips.

100% will be that.

Bet it matches Ryzen in pcie lanes.

It has the same number as Z270.

I don’t think so, as it would pretty much make their x299 six core obsolete

why did intel glue on the kaby lake chips to x299 with this right around the corner? we could have had cheaper x299 boards =/

Seems to me their business model has been based on pushing out new stuff every x months, and having it move off the shelf because there is always a need for it. What they push out is probably the best performing stuff they have in the lab at the time. Low risk.

AMD had the oppertunity to start from scratch and build something new from the ground up. Big risk.

There must have been some scrambling around to get something out the door, which meant throwing together what they had at the time. The thing that annoys me is there seems to be a new chipset every 6 months or so now. Pretty confusing, especially if you don’t keep up with it.

1 Like

That 8700K is probablly going to be fast. :slight_smile:

Mmm yes but it will produce alot of heat as is a trait of 3d trigate as it gets smaller… Haha its like a repeat of 2006 all over again… Intel caught off guard… Releases ridiculously high clocked fast but super hot processors for a few generations until the next node shrink where they learn from their mistake and shame amd again… However amd is already going to skip to 7 nm which is gonna just catch Intel off guard again because they won’t think it can happen but amd is being smart… They are slightly behind the curve. They don’t have to put a lot of rnd into the node shrink… They just use gloflo and Samsungs processes to design their chips… They use their own logic on those platforms and amd is going to profit alot of money from this. I’d say they got the sweet spot of the fabless design process. I mean yeah Intel has more control over the silicon… But amd literally can design logic into a already cookie cut process… XD so yeah let Intel release coffee lake to burn our coffee grounds haha… I’m curious to see what happens when amd possibly hits 7nm first…

If 7nm is as power efficiencient as it is we could see amd make another big jump such as 35 to 45 Watt tdp processor

1 Like

x299 is already obsolete

GloFlo/IBM’s 7nm is very close to Intel’s 10nm.

1 Like