Intel 400 Series thunderbolt implementations now have the 3 pin RTD3 header. What does that mean? Where are the new add-in cards?

Howdy,

So the new Gigabyte, MSI motherboards have an extra 3 pin header for a feature called Runtime D3 or “RTD3”. The little information on the web seems to indicate this is a sleep device state and may be required for USB-4 certification? (last part pure speculation).

Neither Gigabyte or MSI (or anyone else) have released a new TB3 add in card with this 3 pin extra cable/feature.

Asus has a new 13 pin header (2x7 minus pin 11) which seems to incorporate RTD3. They have even labeled the pins:
1: TB_FORCE_PWR
2: TB_I2C1_SCL
3: TB_CIO_PLUG_EVENT
4: TB_I2C1_SDA
5: S_SLPS3#
6: TB_I2C1_IRQ#
7: N57787112
8: TB_RTD3_POWER_EN
9: GND
10: SLP_S0_PLT_N_10
11: (no pin)
12: TB_PERST_GPIO_N
13: TB_RTD3_SW
14: TB_RTD3_WAKE#

Asus has not yet released a new card that supports their new plug. Which means you can’t currently add TB3 to your ASUS 400 series MB. Presumably the new card would not be compatible with previous headers in ASUS.

Biostar seem to have a new header (I can’t remember Biostar having a solution before. 9 pin (2x5 missing pin 2). Pins labeled:
1: Force Power
2: NC (no pin)
3: CIO Plug Event
4: SMB_DATA_MAIN
5: SLP_S3_N
6: SMB_CLK_MAIN
7: SLP_S5_N
8: 3V3_AIC_PD_INT#
9: GND
10: GND

Interestingly Asrock, are sticking with the single/original 5-pin header. No sign on any change

Still no sign of TB3 AIC support from EVGA or Supermicro, however at least the latter has USB 3.2 Gen2x2.

Does anyone know WTH is going on?

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.