Instinct MI25, better than a Tesla M40 (for normal people anyway)

Undervolted but the temperature still scales wether I’m at 170w limit or unlimited

I’m typically limited to 170w on the stock cooler with that dell fan or else it goes into thermal runaway

Can go to 200w if my room is like 55f

Most likely why mines better is because of the precise balanced tension on the stock cooler

You’re cooler is better for sure, if you can get the tension right you’ll be set

It’s still fucking up. Less than 1 degree hotter on anything. Piss.

Your hbm temps are good, mine usually creep along side my hotspot temp

I was wrong when I thought it was temp related. Wasn’t my DP adapter either. Been fucked from the start. Apparently I’ll have my refund within 1-3 days

I’m new to this, mind helping me get caught up to speed here? I’ve got the amdvbflash driver installed but it’s not finding the card. Shows up in GPU-Z, though, and the lookup button takes me right to the MI25 page.

Did I miss a step here? Do I need to try and get a VGA driver to install first?

Check into this.

I didn’t have that specific problem, I just had the GUI version not let me, and the CLI version crash, then just went straight to the USB programmer that i already had around.

1 Like

Good call, thanks. I read that earlier and then forgot about it, seems likely.

Edit: CSM off and secureboot on, still not showing up. Guess I’ll fuck with it some more in the morning.

Edit 2: didn’t work with RX Vega or Radeon VII drivers forced. I guess I need to figure out a way to install the WX9100 driver, but it wasn’t added to my driver list when I ran the Radeon Pro software installer.

Edit 3: still didn’t show up with WX9100 driver installed. Tried 22.10.2 WHQL and Pro 22.Q3. Shows up properly in GPU-Z as WX9100, but still not found in amdvbflash. Tried versions 3.31, 3.20, 2.93, GUI and CLI. Confirmed I ran them in administrator mode, confirmed CSM off. Guess I’m ordering a USB flasher.

Also tried the other the other 3 combinations of CSM off/on and amdvbflash driver off/on. Little hope, less success. Also doesn’t work with the EFI or FreeDOS flashing utilities, with CSM off or on. It seems some of these cards just can’t be flashed with software.

1 Like

Is yours dual 8 pin, or 8+6?

Gpu says Vega 10 but only 2944 instead of 4096

And the wx 8200 has 3584

So if that’s accurate then there’s nothing he can flash to

But it could be it just doesn’t have a driver

People flash between 56 and 64. Not sure which details are actually limiting factors in these swaps.

I didn’t look at GPU-Z, but it’s easy enough to lie to anyway.

My card is 8+6. It showed up as 4096 after installing the WX9100 driver. I found this post saying that amdvbflash only worked for him in Linux and not Windows, DOS, or UEFI, but my CH341A just showed up so I’ll do it that way.

Actually I guess I misread that. He says it only works in Linux and only after flashing with hardware.

Once you got that driver you can now use the 2.93 version to flash on windows

The wx9100 bios will give you video output but 170w with no voltage control
The Vega Frontier Edition will give you voltage and freq control through power play and the full 300w

Stock cooler with a a fan can only hand 170w

You can read all of the things I tried in my first post. You have an 8+8 card, right? I think maybe it’s an ES or maybe some sort of special card for a specific customer that isn’t bios locked.

I think the original primary purpose of these cards was as engineering samples, like software engineering, and maybe some stuff related to validating what AMD had planned for the later WX and more mainstream cards, as far as specs for power etc. There’s a string in the vBIOS hex file that literally reads “gebralter test”. I haven’t seen anything so engineering sample sounding in any other file I looked at. The iMac Vega 64 vBIOS says “skeleton BIOS” and “falcon” in it.

Hardware flash was a success and I now have a fully functioning WX9100. I only had to flash the first chip, wasn’t able to get the clip on the second but it doesn’t seem to matter. The usb flasher software identified the bios chip incorrectly which took me a while to realize. The actual chip on my board is an ST 25P60; it wasn’t on the list but it worked using I think 25P20. It had originally defaulted to a 128mb chip, which obviously isn’t going to store a 256mb bios.

keep us updated if you get power play working

M25P80, doesn’t seem to matter selecting a bigger ic

minus 5 mDP lol

I suppose I need to do a perf comparison of undervolted 170w vs 1.2v 170w
would be nice to have a video output