Instinct MI25, better than a Tesla M40 (for normal people anyway)

I am using a nzxt kraken g10 which I had to drill new holes onto and a 120mm aio, also the midplate had to be machined for the aio plate to make contact with the gpu and hbm die.

1 Like

Oh it had enough space for the holes, I have one but I didn’t check if I could drill some
Can you can use the vrm heatsinks that’s even better

I managed to utilize the midplate to cool the vrm, but it is required to compensate when drilling holes into the aio bracket since the asatek style coolers will not clear the midplate if mounted at the center of the mount holes(at least from my experience).

I used the G10 mounting hardware for mine to mount the gpu block, it just barely fit’s with the backplate, midplate & shroud.

BTW IC Diamond paste worked really well for my card, dropped temps to around 45c core/55c hotspot @ 220W.

1 Like

So just to confirm. These can be flashed through the ati flash tool? But CSM needs to be disabled correct?

Or do people still need hardware flashers?

yeah you can flash them with the ati flash tool, you need 2.93 to flash them

its simple to flash to a vega FE or WX9100 but once you have either of those bios’s on there you’ll need to DDU and install a really old driver to flash again because they locked flashing vega in modern drivers

you only get the display port working with WX9100 bios though, I think some people have had success modding the power play tables for that bios so you can undervolt and what not

detailed instructions here

On linux I was able to flash with newer versions of the ati flash tool. I needed to have the amdgpu driver loaded and bound to the card. It didn’t work with vfio loaded.

On Windows, I used 2.93 and that worked even without the AMD drivers installed.

This was neat, Apple’s Dual W6800’s running Timespy!

After messing around a bit it seems Trixx 6.8.0 also lets you change the voltage offset. There’s no V/F curve though so I think it applies the offset to all power states so you can’t lower it by much. -50mV seems about it for mine ending up at 1.15V. Mine doesn’t overclock very well though so you may get better results.

Hi folks I am stuck with two mi25 cards (seller sent another one). Same thing of no post from some other participant here. Not able to boot with card inserted. I have a very old ATI card that only works with CSM. I tried disabling CSM and removing the card (different error but not booting). My computer has no 4G decoding option available in the bios. Asus B550-E mobo and Ryzen 3600 CPU. What do you recommend? Getting newer video card flashing the mi25 with USB flasher? Does flashing lowers computing power? I want to run some AI workloads with those, not interested in

games or graphics.

csm disabled is a requirement
I would recommend a newer gpu

you can maybe even borrow one just to flash from a friend

Ahh ok thanks. Let’s see what I can get from ebay (unfortunately not many friends in this country, I am immigrant here). I was thinking at some lower end but somewhat recent card.

Strange question I suppose, but would it be possible to remove the mDP on the card and replace it with a new mDP receptacle? The GPU is definitely alive but the mDP connector on it has seen better days and isn’t outputting video dispute the GPU being alive and well.

Which vbios do you have
The connector only outputs on the w9100 bios because the connector is in the “6th position” and other Vega cards only have 4 connectors and the vbiios/driver doesn’t know about the mdp since it’s in a slot it doesn’t expect
The w9100 however has 6 mdp slots so it expects something in the 6 slot

But yes it’s possible you you just need a bit of soldering skills

I flashed the W9100 bios on to it and it seems windows recognizes it as such. I’m waiting for my pinecil to come in anyways to start learning how to solder. I guess I’ll look for a replacement off mouser.

Thanks for the help!

Once I get it up and running I’ll see about 3d printing it a shroud instead of having a fan bolted on at the end. My CAD skills are a bit rusty but I think I should be able to.

There are 2 different connectors so be careful, it might be possible to populate other mdp slots but you might need other smds

I only ordered a single one so I’m just going to do a swap. I probably have some older GPUs I can swipe another mDP off and test to see if the second slot would work.

You need to flash WX9100 BIOS with an external EEPROM programmer.

Only specific server boards will boot with a Mi25 BIOS.

Some versions of atiflash will work too. Not sure if you need a specific board or BIOS settings, but as a single datapoint, it worked fine on my H11SSL :wink:

Depends on your motherboard. The motherboards I tested (see my posts in this thread) it wont boot.

I do not know on what motherboards can boot when a AMD Mi25 is present.