Installing windows 7 with UEFI nightmares

So I have a laptop that is running ubuntu right now and I finally broke down and decided to install windows in a dual boot because I need certain programs that won't work on linux. Anyway I get the old windows 7 disk out and put it in. After it freezes on startup everytime I figure out that I need to turn off UEFI boot in the BIOS settings. However this did disable my linux partition from booting so I went through the whole process of installing a new GRUB and now I can boot my Ubuntu in both ways. Anyway I get to the install when I select the disk I want to install it on it won't install because the disk is formatted with GPT. After a bit of research I found out that to install to a GPT disk you have to boot in UEFI. So I found a guide to make a UEFI windows 7 install USB.

After following this guide I go to boot the drive and I get a Windows boot manager error (specifically 0x000000d). I did some looking around and all I can find to fix this error is to disable UEFI. I feel like I am stuck in a loop. Why is windows taking longer to install then linux? Anyways I'm out of ideas so I thought I'd see what you guys think.

When I used to run Linux and Windows 7 before UEFI. I would install windows 7 first and get that up and running. After that install Linux but I have not been using Linux for at least two years. That might be one way to go around the problem.

yeah that is kind of my last resort because if I do that I would just change the hard drive to MBR and then disable UEFI which would solve all of my problems but I would prefer to keep my linux installed because I have a lot of configuration out into it but if I have to I can do a fresh install of everything

option clone linux install on backup Hdd install windows 7 over the former linux base reclone lunix back after making a partition. option 2 get another disk for windows and unplug linux disk while installing.

Not for Windows 7, no.

Windows 10 and UEFI based OS, yes. Not Windows 7.

Likely you installed ubuntu with UEFI. IMO, you really don't need UEFI for anything.
Just turn it off

sigh Let's get started...

• The firmware is either a 16-bit BIOS or a 64-bit UEFI or a 32-bit UEFI.
  • Most modern firmwares are 64-bit UEFIs.
  • BIOS and UEFI booting have nothing to do with one another and are completely incompatible with one another.
  • BIOS booting supports booting either 16-bit, 32-bit or 64-bit Operating Systems.
  • In UEFI booting, the operating system's architecture must match the UEFI architecture.
    • 32-bit Operating Sytems do not work on 64-bit UEFIs.
    • 64-bit Operating Systems do not work on 32-bit UEFIs (common on atom netbooks).
  • Most UEFIs on x86_64 systems also have a Compatability Support Module (CSM) for booting operating systems BIOS style that can be enabled or disabled.
  • A 64-bit UEFI allows booting 32-bit OSes only through the CSM and BIOS style booting.
  • To disable your BIOS: You do not have a BIOS, please make sure you have read the above notes.
  • To disable your UEFI, take your motherboard, and toss it in the garbage.
  • Windows 7 32-bit does not support UEFI style booting.
  • Windows 7 64-bit Starter, Home Basic and Home Premium do not support UEFI style booting (without some hacks).
  • Windows 7 64-bit Professional, Education, Enterprise and Ultimate DO support UEFI booting.
  • The UEFI spec requires that operating systems be capable of UEFI booting on MBR disks provided the partition layout matches that outlined in the UEFI spec (e.g. a UEFI boot partition).
  • I have not figured out a way to BIOS style boot a GPT partitioned disk, nor do I want to try.
  • When multibooting, it is recommended to not mix BIOS style and UEFI style booting in the same system and to use different disks for different operating systems. Using different disks is especially important when mixing BIOS and UEFI booting styles to avoid booting woes.
  • When using the same disk, do not ever mix different booting styles. Ever.

Recommendations:

• Try to use UEFI boot mode. It is simpler and cleaner when used with rEFInd: documentation and download page. It is lazier to implement than GRUB.
  • Check your Windows edition and architecture to make sure they are UEFI compatible. If not, you are stuck with BIOS style booting and GRUB.
  • If you have a GPT disk and do not want to format. Do not even try to BIOS boot from that. Leave the CSM disabled in your UEFI.
  • Make sure your disk is formatted according to the UEFI spec. See this recommended layout by Microsoft, (ignore the RE partition, that is more for OEMs).

Further Reading: