Installing the latest bluetooth/wifi card onto an old mobo

Hey guys
Given the work from home situation, I hope everyone is well.

I have an old z87 mobo lying around that I want to repurpose for my folks to use as a HTPC. Likely install Linux mint and let them Netflix and Youtube as much as they please.

I have an older Logitech bluetooth keyboard that will be used to connect to the pc. Problem is that Windows 10 and Intel bluetooth hardware isn’t as robust as those in Apple.

If I were to replace the bluetooth/wifi chip on the z87 (to be exact, it is the Asrock z87Ee-itx mobo https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z87E-ITX/?cat=Download&os=Win764) with another Bluetooth5.0/wifi chip like this one (https://www.amazon.com/BCM94356Z-Bluetooth-Wireless-Network-ThinkPad/dp/B07MZM6319), would it work straight out of the box?

Separately, what replacement hardware/Bluetooth + wifi chip would be recommended?

Thank you

Right off I can say the one you linked won’t work because it won’t fit. The card linked is M.2, whereas the motherboard appears to use mPCIe.

Intel is usually the best bet for WiFi cards IMO, I believe basic drivers are baked in to both W10 and the Linux kernel. Plus they’re the only brand I’ve used so far where the drivers aren’t terrible and/or the card hasn’t been flakey.

I’d suggest looking for an Intel 7260 in mPCIe form factor. It’ll work with 802.11ac wifi and BT 4.0. Should be under $25.

1 Like

Thanks!
Can the same bed said about the Bluetooth capabilities, in that it’s also a straight out of the box experience and does well for connectivity?

I’m asking because when the mobile ran on Windows 10, Bluetooth was certainly not it’s strong suit.

I back @w.meri on the Intel 7260AC. I bought one for my laptop and it’s working flawlessly. Unfortunately is not BT5.0 nor WiFi 6 but it can sustain decent speeds through WiFi if you use good antennas and the bluetooth works but I’ve had the slight inconvenience to have to disable BT power saving because there was a conflict with power saving on my laptop and made the BT disconnect periodically. I use it every day with my Logitech K380 and never had an issue.

P.S. also since you’re using Linux the Intel cards are supported best and work out of the box.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.