Installing Radeon 7nm on Arch Linux... 3-11-19--Experiment Continues

I suspect Microsoft will become a chrome-os with a Windows UI theme and all the telemetry over the next decade. Moving to chromium is just step 1.

Opps side track :wink:

1 Like

It’s still going to be called edge, and microsoft are still working on containerisation via hyper-v technology inside of windows.

They’ve no doubt seen what Qubes has done.

I hate microsoft as much as the next guy, but some of the decisions they make are actually technically sound. Implementation may differ, but even a broken clock is right twice per day.

It would be interesting to see if it would be possible use “C” or to create light weight translation API to provide a VM with direct access to the host’s GPU stack thereby side stepping this limitation. Any thoughts??

How do you figure this would be possible? The components are virtualized through the VM itself.
If you could just break through the VM to the host computer, that would be quite a large exploit.

I didn’t think that to be possible, to just use VM containers of specific applications inside of the same OS.

Look up virgl.

The reason it is not talked about too much is that it is currently open gl only and linux guest only.

2 Likes

care to try newest radeonsi driver?

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RadeonSI-Prim-Culling-Async-Com

2 Likes

I agree and don’t think this would be an ideal solution for anything other than gaming. But that being said people have broken out of VMs before…

Ive posted that but its been like 2 years and nothing. But it still going.

SR-IOV has all the Enterprise special sauce. But It seems both AMD and Nvidia have the tech but it not worthy of us.

2 Likes

Its been done plenty of times, see Qubes, Microsoft’s blog posts about what they’re doing with Edge…

1 Like

I really need this tech in my daily workstation!

Do we know if the reset issue is fixed? Haven’t seen an update on that yet.

Anyway, I have a Radeon VII coming tomorrow, so I will test it then.

4 Likes

Just installed the VII. Unfortunately, it seems to suffer from the same reset bug as Vega. When I try to reboot my VM it either launches to a black screen or the host locks up completely with messages like “AMD-Vi Command Buffer Timeout” in the dmesg. The Vega 64 did the same thing.

rsz_11rsz_20190217_124346

The card seems nice otherwise. However I noticed the “Junction Temperature” seems to get quite high, around 101-105C when I’m playing games, not sure if that’s normal. I’ll have to look into it. The GPU temp otherwise is at around 67C.

1 Like

Yes that is indeed the junction temp on the VII. Some reviewers noted it aswell.

1 Like

Anyone tried undervolting under Linux with the r7?

As per the Adoredtv review, automatic undervolting makes this card more appealing from a noise perspective with windows. Planning to spend most of the time in Linux though.

Which games are you playing?

BFV, Crysis 3, and RE2… that’s all I’ve tried so far. BFV runs pretty nice at this res (3440x1440), getting around 100-110 FPS

1 Like

Hey guys I actually went ahead and bought the Radeon VII got it on Friday. I’ve spent all weekend dealing with tuning for my GPU passthrough. I hit the reset bug, but using a kernel patch resolved the issue. I’ll make a new thread about it in just a bit after I test it more.

2 Likes

Is it this patch by any chance? https://www.reddit.com/r/VFIO/comments/99bb5v/kernel_patch_to_fix_vega_reset_issue/

If it works I’ll have to try it… some people reported some weird behavior after applying the patch though (stuttering apparently). I came across it awhile back when I had the Vega 64 but never bothered trying it, thought there would be a proper fix for the reset issue by now.

2 Likes

Yep. But I also combine it with the devcon trick and so far no stuttering or performance issues. I am testing across multiple reboots as well.

1 Like