Installing NVidia on Linux (Fail Proof)

Now it is appearing in the menu in all DEs. Weird.:thinking:

No but this is a different driver. you need to completely uninstall the manual installed version in this guide and add the negativo repository for dnf and install it via his instructions on his website

With a recent kernel update Plymouth stopped working for one of my PCs. I used this guide on the same hardware to get Plymouth working on F28 (and its updates to F30) and it has been working since. I tried different settings and entered every step again - no success. Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Let me point out that the path of least resistance has been Pop Os in my limited experience.

Kind of takes the fun out of linux neck beard thing , tho ?

Wanna know the easiest way to get NVidia to work in Linux?

1 Like

pacman -S nvidia

worked out of the box on GTX 780 :man_shrugging:

oh lmao, I get it. Nope. -S = sync, as in sync the package with the repo, so if you don;t have it it installs it. -Syu is to Sync refresh and update the whole system.

Not sure if you know that and I am just being ootistic

1 Like

Thatā€™s the nugget

1 Like

typical arch user getting autistic about a terminal piece of software, amirite?

Yep. Works out of the box. And if you want the proprietary drivers you just open the driver manager, download them, and restart. Smoothest experience I ever had with my GTX 970 in Linux.

Although I will say Antergos worked great at first too. But then it broke again after a few updates. I ran Solus for months without any issues.

And now Iā€™m on Team Red, so :man_shrugging:

Also I just realized if you search ā€œpraise solusā€ in DDG, my image comes up as the first result. I feel special.

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: The Lounge - 2019/09 September [Proprietary Plantation Edition]

Have you folllowed the instructions in that part of the guide you found? Also dont go installing another OS because of people suggesting it. Stick with what you have and work with it and learn it

2 Likes

They share the same applications shortcut reference directory. It doesnt change DE to DE

Yes, i did. I also wouldnā€™t change my OS cause I have 4 PCs running here with Fedora. That makes quiet a few things easier to maintain (and keep my family members happy).

1 Like

Thanks for the guideā€¦ My only real gripe with Linux anymore is graphics drivers installs.

1 Like

Can be a pain but fortunately there are many options and work around

It definitely doesā€¦ hmm you followed it and Plymouth is still broke. Well hereā€™s my question do you need Plymouth? You could just opt for the system D trace spit outā€¦ itā€™s ugly and old fashioned by simply works

Yeah, I am doing that right now. Itā€™s just triggering my admin senses. :wink:

1 Like

Fedora has never been the easy way haha but its a good distro. Somethings just break and mismatch. I suspect it might be the plymouth version not liking something about the manual driver install. Not sure though. Plymouth works with the negativo17 repo but that involves using someone elses built software. Some people dont like that