Installing ngspice on ubuntu?

Ok, when I put in ~/Dowloads, it just says “It is a directory”, and when I enter pwd, it just says the directory name “/tmp/ng-spice”.

cd ~/Downloads

try that.

It says ~/Downloads$

Perfect. See if you can find the file with ls.

It gave me /ngspice-27.tar.gz in nice red letters, then went to a new line underneath that is still on ~/Downloads$
By the way, I apologize this is taking up so much of your time.

no worries. I think we’re about to get past this.

turns out the file name should be ngspice-27.tar.gz and not ng-spice-27.tar.gz

Let’s try replacing the latter with the former in all the commands I specified up on post 2.

so, let’s cd /tmp/ng-spice and see if we can do

cp ~/Downloads/ngspice-27.tar.gz /tmp/ng-spice

ok, got it so far.

Let me know if you have any other issues following the directions above. Start from step 3.

Sorry, still can’t do step 3. I even tried extracting the file in my downloads folder and running step 3 again, but no dice. It says,
tar: ngspice-27.tar.gz: cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

That means you’re not specifying the correct file name. Looks like you’re going to need to figure out the name and make sure it’s spelled exactly correctly.

Linux is case sensitive too, so that may have something to do with it.

Ok, I’ll look at it more closely.

I tried several different things, but it just says no. I appreciate the help and the ganster effort you put in, but I’m about ready to take a hammer to this thing. I think my linux adventure just stalled out after 2 days of trying. I do owe you one, though. You might have to change your name to sgtsuperawesomesauce:)

I’m always here to help. If you are going back to Windows and have the resources, run Linux in a VM so you can learn. It’s definitely a daunting thing to learn if you’re forced to dive into something like compiling packages from source.

I’m sorry we weren’t able to find a solution for you though. :frowning:

3 Likes