Installing fedora on a computer and moving it to another

I have this old dell computer that doesn't support booting from usb. I want to install fedora on it. So I did something that I have done before with success which is to use my good pc and switch over the HDD and install it then move it back. My old computer won't boot from it because of a bios bug. (I am unable to use my keyboard or mouse on boot up ) The install works fine on my main computer apart from the getting started window which glitches out. Should I try installing again or is my problem that I installed it on a different computer then moved it over? I am new to linux and trying to get into it so I don't know. Thx for all the help. :)

You could do something similar to this here:

Wherein you effectively just copy the USB contents directly onto the hard drive, and boot from the hard drive (Partition has to be active) rather then fully installing it first.

2 Likes

Installing Linux on another computer and moving it shouldn't have an issues, I couldn't install Fedora on my Ryzen system but doing the installation on my old machine and swapping the SSD worked fine. The only issue I can think of is if you done a UEFI install on the newer computer and the other one isn't UEFI compatible.

2 Likes

I don't have much input beyond what the others have commented, however, I'd like to note that some older computers, we're talking P4 days, you'd have to use the PS2 ports, as the USB bus is not initialized before booting into the OS. Don't know if that'll help.

2 Likes