Installing AMD drivers for Vega64 PC dies/turns off

So having a weird issue.
When installing AMD drivers for my Vega64 card, the PC turns off.
I get to about 100% installed, and if I’m quick I can press restart and the PC reboots, and when it boots and loads the drivers it turns off.
I have also seen it turn off around 99-100% mark during installation.

Long story short, this only happens in Windows 10 + 11, there are no issues on Zorin Linux.
Also Windows 10/11 run fine as long as I don’t install the drivers.
Safe mode in Windows there are no issues either, it can run for hours

Specs on PC affected:
Asus B360-i Gaming
i7-9700k
2x16GB DDR4 @2667 Mhz
850 Watt PSU Bronze+ (NorthQ I think) I use seperate rails for the 8 pin power plugs.

I do not think that the PSU or graphic card is the issue, since they were both used with an Asrock B350-i with a Ryzen 7 1700x for quite some time.
I have tested with a Gigabyte Vega64 which has been running for a couple of years on the B350-i motherboard, and I have also tested with an ASUS ROG Vega64, both show the same symptoms.

Again using Zorin Linux both cards work flawlessly, I have been running games, and stress tests on the PC under Linux, no issues whatsoever. I did install official AMD drivers for Linux.

AMD’s own drivers, and the ones provided via Windows Update turns off the PC, it dies immediately, just like pulling the power cord, or flipping the switch.

I could try my 2080ti, but my guess is that it will work, since I have used it in the same motherboard before, I am building a new PC where the 2080ti will be used instead.

Edit: Win 11 works with the 2080ti, So I guess I am getting an Nvidia card for the PC, and use the Vega as a doorpost, or as a coaster. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

ITS POSSIBLE that your psu is the fault. You SHOULDN’T have your gpu running off multiple different rails. Its one of the biggest reason that quality name brand units moved away from multi-rail to single rail. I generally stick to two brands of PSU, either Seasonic or EVGA. LATELY I had to choose neither and got a Corsair RM1000x Shift, their new ATX 3.0 certified PSU. Its been working great as far as I can tell. I remember back in the day, if you had a multi-rail psu and you tried to have two separate rails power a gpu, you would get issues… the same MIGHT be happening here.

why would the 2080ti work but the vega64 doesn’t? Nvidia goes a little above and beyond with their design, more than likely the gpu is evenly pulling power from the 8pin connections while the vega64 is pulling more power from one than the other. I mean even now with the 4000 series from nvidia we have that stupid 12pin power which also has 4 sense pin… they’ve always liked going above and beyond. not always a good thing but it is what it is.

1 Like

I can try to move one of the 8 pin plugs for the graphic card.
However, the card did work on the same PSU (with the same cabling). The only thing that changed was the Motherboard. And that motherboard has worked with the Vega64 card. (Albeit, in a PC with a 1000Watt Corsair PSU).

But you are probably right that the Vega64, coupled with the i7-9700k on that particular PSU is overtaxing it.

I am eyeing a used GTX 1080 EVGA for $168 (USD). So either that or a new PSU, both would be the same price… Decisions Decisions … :slight_smile:

You were correct regarding the PSU :+1: :smiley:
I took a 700 Watt PSU from another machine and used that.
I was able to boot, and install AMD graphic card drivers.
Funny thing though starting a Benchmark from UserBenchmark, everything went fine with both the Asus Vega64 card, and the ASUS ROG Vega64 card, until the Graphics benchmark, then the PC turned off immediately.
It could be that the 700Watt PSU is too underpowered.

I took a picture of the PSU, perhaps it can’t provide enough power to the Vega64 card.
I ran the benchmark with an AMD RX580 card without issues, but that card does not need that much power from the PSU to run under load as the Vega64 cards.

Any idea as to how powerful a graphics card the PSU below can handle?
The system it’s used in is:
i7-9700k
ASUS ROG B360-i Gaming
32GB DDR4 RAM
As for now I’m using the IGP on the CPU, until I figure out what graphics card to put into the system.

Never heard of that brand of PSU but I am from the USA. I believe thats a german brand?

Anyway, its possible the psu cant handle the transient spikes that the vega64 needs. Or that because its not a well known name brand that it cant actually handle rated power. Either way simply buying a name brand psu will fix all your issues.

EVGA, Seasonic, FSP, Corsair, Antec (their higher end are seasonic clones) would all be great brands to buy. I recently bought the new Corsair RM1000x Shift, their atx3.0 certified PSU which has the newest spec levels for handling the newest gpus (like 4000 series nvidia and their crazy high transient spikes).

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you for your input. I got a used Corsair RM850 PSU for around $100 USD with shipping. Works like a charm :wink:

1 Like

The Vega tuned it faster than the 1080 by a good bit in newer games

1 Like

Well that’s you’re problem 540w on the 12v total is not enough for Vega 64 and 9700k

1 Like

Yeah that was the problem. The 850Watt Corsair runs smoothly. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.