Installed Mint 19, no sound & graphics behaving very odd

Maybe not the best place to ask for help, or maybe it is idk, but I managed to install Mint 19.2 on my new SSD and I have no sound anymore. Graphics on my third screen are also going wild. The desktop seems to run at 10-30 frames per second and all programs besides the settings ones seem kind of low resolution.

So far what i have checked/tried:

Restarting computer
Graphics driver is on latest from NVIDIA
Sound is fine all the way from headphones to the 3.5mm into the computer
Switching from soundcard to motherboard sound makes no difference
Checked that all screens were set to the right resolution

Everything worked fine in W10.

Specs of my machine:

CPU: I7 4790K
GPU: GTX 1080
RAM: 4x4GB 2133MHz
Storage: MX500 500GB SSD(Mint), U400 240GB SSD(W10), 1TB 7200RPM HDD
Sound card: Soundblaster Z

Thanks for any tups and any help :slight_smile: I dont really know what to do :confused:

Welcome to nvidia.

And mint for that matter.

Did you notice these things from the live session?

1 Like

No, this is in the fully installed OS.

1 Like

@bananasplit_00 What version of the Linux kernel are you running? You probably will need to update your Linux kernel, but I would advise against because when I tried to update the Linux kernel on my laptop which is from the same family like yours, I destroyed my external monitor. Your system is just too old to safely to run any Linux Kernel newer than 4.15. At least that is my opinion. If you want to take a chance on destroying your computer parts I includded a linux that will hel you upgrade the Linux Kernel.

I honestly do not understand how software is going to break my hardware? something would have to be very messed up if that was the case. Is the kernel getting BIOS level access and blasting my CPU with 2V or something? wut.

Either way, im on the 4.15 kernel from what i can find

1 Like

I don’t understand it myself, All I know is the last time I tried to upgrade the Linux kernel higher than the default version that came with Ubuntu (which is always I believe two versions higher than Linux Mint’s default Linux kernel) I got a warning message that basically said there was a chance the system or some part of the system could refuse to function, I didn’t heed that warning and as a result my external Monitor’s screen only shows the left side of the screen. If my horror story hasn’t deterred you I have included a different link I came accross which might help you.

Think il just install Ubuntu and see if thats any better. I am hardly married to this install, it has nothing on it so im fine nuking it.

Let me know how it goes for you.

graphics seems fine after i got the NVIDIA 415 drivers on there instead of the 390, after a kernel update and pulse audio volume controll there is still no sound and my motherboard soundcard is still not anywhere to be found within Linux.

Everything is working perfectly in spyware10 like it did before :expressionless:

That’s why I’m asking if it happened when using the system live.

Well, it looks like you had a better experience upgrading the Linux kernel than I did. I have read you might have to upgrade the default Linux kernel for Ubuntu to 4.18.0.6 mainline. You might try upgrading to Ubuntu 18.10 that suppose to have by default 4.18 mainline Linux kernel.

Upgraded to the 4.20.6 kerner with UkUU and it worked fine

did literally nothing in there besides press the install button so i have no clue, didnt hear any sounds so probably no sound there? never moved any of the windows around either so i didnt notice any of that

I’m running kernel 4.19.15-300 on a 4690K with a GTX970 your comment is simply wrong. Sorry.

I haven’t been on Mint in a long time (17.x) but if you are not married to Mint you could try Fedora 29. If not, you can upgrade to the latest kernel supported on Mint and go from there. If available kernel 4.20.x should be fine for what you have. If you have tried any of these things please comment.

So do me 3 favors. 1: open up journalctl in a terminal nd use the code tag here to post any errors with pulseaudio mentioned.

Next, 2: try to reinstall pulse. I’ve had random times in ubuntu when I hawe needed to install pulse again, though I’m about to go to jack on everything for the ease it would give me, especially in production.

3: uninstall your nvidia dliver. For now, at least. Theres somethitg really fucked in the nemest driver in windows 8.1 that fucked my laptop with a 1060. Not bueno. Try a different driver line like 390.

And don’t DL from nvidia’s site ever for linux thats just bad news.

I had the same issue with the sounds on Mint as you are describing. No issues while on the live key but after installing it went bad, no sound from speakers. Downloaded the new intel HDA daily drivers and that fixed the issue. The newer kernels should have this implemented so should have no issues there.
If you’re on 4.15 go to https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-audio-dev/+archive/ubuntu/alsa-daily/+packages
and download the latest driver. Hope this helps someone, I was losing my mind over this issue…

Mint forum helped me get everything sorted, here is what i did:

Fresh install of Mint 19.2
Update the Kernel to 4.20.6 while on Novou drivers
Install Pulseaudio once on new Kernel
Run alsamixer in terminal
Press F6 in alsamixer and select the soundcard
Use arrowkeys to navigate to a chanel called HP/speak and press M to unmute it
That fixed the Soundblasters outputs
Use this tutorial to install the NVIDIA 415 driver: http://www.linuxandubuntu.com/home/how-to-install-latest-nvidia-drivers-in-linux
Power off and pray to whatever deity you find holy for a solid 10 minutes or so
Power on and everything is either utterly broken or works perfectly.

This was what worked for me to get my video and sound working as it should, the NVIDIA 390 driver is garbage and breaks with the 4.20.6 kernel so never switch to it unless you want to faff about with that mess.

Thanks for all the replies, it was all very helpful in figuring this out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@bananasplit_00 I’m having similar problems on Fedora 28 with a Soundblaster Z. I can get the front audio input/output jacks working with the alsamixer trick, but the back panel outputs are dead. Are all your outputs active?

At least I can get some audio out of this thing. That’s a major step forward.

EDIT: Interesting discovery - if you unmute “OutFX”, it enables some of the audio processing effects like Crystallizer and 3D/Surround Audio.

Havent been on this forum for a while, sorry for the slight necro but i have just removed the sound card because it was just a source for all sorts of problems and i had enough problems with NVIDIA drivers, display detection and other random stuff. The soundblaster Z / X just dosnt seem to play nice with ALSA still even if you get output sometimes it was just not worth the trouble anymore and i have gone back to onboard from my motherboard

1 Like