Install manjaro on dual graphics card laptop

Hi. I wanna install manjaro on my asus rog i7-6700hq 16gb ram 1tb hdd 1tb ssd 960m gtx and if i wanna select on the installer non free software it just stays stuck at a part of booting. If i wanna install with free it gets me to the desktop i install it and the after the restart i log in with my user and get a black screen and that`s it. I did the all the updates and still nothing.
I always posted in the comm of Level1techs , linus tech tips, chris titus , learn linux and so on to make a video about this problem and how to solve it.
Even tried the manjaro forum and there was someone who tried to help me but with no luck.
You guys are my last chance of getting this done and switching to linux cuze i installed manjaro on my other computer that has and intel hd graphics and it worked really good.
Please help me guys.

1 Like

What about secure boot, did you have that disabled or did you sign the driver with the appropriate key?
If secure boot is enabled and there’s unsigned kernel modules, those modules won’t load.

Also, welcome

Secure boot is disabled.

1 Like

Is it an optimus laptop? With settings in the bios?

I looked into it for my 7850K+R7 250 and I didn’t see anything promising.
Hoping it gets solved too :slight_smile:

I did this on my 9560 with the Intel chip and the Nvidia 1050. It was a pain. As it turns out, there was a problem with either Manjaro, or the laptop, or both. Basically, the graphics card was working fine with the Nvidia graphics until it started to look for the Nouveau (free) ones, and that would cause the whole system to lock up. So you could try booting it with the following line:

nouveau.modeset=0

Tacked on to your boot. (Press e during the GRUB boot selection screen and add it to the end of the Linux line)

I also had issues with the acpi that I’m not sure if they were an XPS issue (so irrelevant to you) or a Manjaro issue, but basically I had to set acpi_rev_override=1 to get it to work, as well (tacked it on after the nouveau.modeset bit). Otherwise the system was locking up during boot (something about a specific CPU core being stuck), similar to what you’re describing. You can turn off quiet in the GRUB boot selection (just remove the word I think) and you should be able to see exactly where in the boot it’s getting stuck, and letting us know what line it’s printing last.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Using acpi_osi=! acpi_osi="Windows 2009" in the default grub command line should also work. Have to use this with the MSI GS73VR with a GTX 1060.

My laptop has Intel HD graphic and a 940m dGPU. Installed Manjaro with all default settings (open-source drivers), then installed the non-free drivers after installation and it’s been working perfect. Not sure why it’s not working on yours…

Can you show us what driver options are available after installation?

For example, this is what’s available for mine:

It shows a hybrid Intel/Nvidia driver, which is the one in installed when I clicked “auto install proprietary drivers”. Maybe that’s the one you need to select instead of just the straight Nvidia driver?

1 Like

The thing is when i get into try mode i cant install other drivers and after ive done the installation it will greed me with a black screen.

Will try some things after i get the 1tb from my friend so i can have windows on hdd and linux on ssd as a backup. After I`ve install manjaro and got a stable version up and running i can delete the windows partition and but other stuff there.

And also do you guys know any alternative to “cast on device” in linux ? I always stream at night after work a movie or a tv show on my tv.

Definitely try disabling the nouveau driver in the GRUB menu before booting.

VLC has a Chromecast function. You need to install the libmicrodns and protobuf packages to access it. Once they’re installed, navigate to Playback>Renderer in the VLC menu, and your Chromecast should show up.

1 Like

Alright will do and come back with a feedback.

There are also to different apps that @COGlory didn’t mention, There names are Emby Server and Plex. I use both to stream the movies on my laptop to my smart TV.

In Manjaro TTY you can use mhwd to inspect/change GPU driver: