Install Gentoo: My Experiences, Thoughts, and Hurdles

Seriously, 4 days and no-one posts this? I am disappoint.

How does Portage compare to pacman? As an Archfag I love pacman, it is the no.1 reason that I use Arch and Manjaro.

Arch Linux is child's play compared to Gentoo. also Portage and Pacman are not similar in anyway..

Pacman you are just pulling binary pre-built packages and from the package manager and just installing them. On Gentoo, portage pulls out the source code and then you have to add USE flags for feature sets you wish for the package to have.

Gentoo took me about a day and a half to install.. I can install Arch Linux in about 5 to 7 minutes and get it working. and I'm confident something won't break the system to the point of no return after an update.

On a sidenote if you are a Budgie / GNOME user getting systemd to work takes too much un-necessary time to get working.

I've used Arch Linux prior to Gentoo for about 2 and a half years. I like Arch better cause it's easy. But security is almost non-existent. Honestly the only thing that makes Arch great is the AUR.

The cloud of smug is already forming. Only a matter of time now...

1 Like

Don't worry. I already know the amount of triggered that comes from saying Arch is trash.

1 Like

I mean, the truth teller in a world of liars is the most dangerous man, so...

The maintainers of Arch angered me when they deprecated the synaptics driver..

My touchpad no longer works and it's a bitch to get working now.

Edge case or Edgy head case? you decide.

The whole biggest blessing but biggest downfall part is exactly why. I will never run gentoo but I like that people have this option. I am however positively sure that stallman loves you haha.. Anyways speaking of that torvalds and stallman really don't like each other at all hahaha

also lets say you are updating your system. if one package fails to compile (for whatever reason) it won't update your system..

1 Like

That would drive me up the wall

1 Like

Honestly it's driving me up a wall right now cause I had one package that wouldn't compile for the life of me. and googling the issue brought up no solutions.. I just got mad, uninstalled the package and tried to update my system again.

The cool thing is I can break system patters on opensuse and hold a package back and move on to the next update (probably the second biggest reason I use it.. Its forgiving and I can do things I don't normally easily do on say cancerbuntu and fedora...

1 Like

Back when I used it I had a beefy machine build packages so that I could emerge them on my actual work machines and laptops.

Then I moved, and instead of having several machines, I ended up getting a job and moving and having just a laptop and living in an area with 18c electricity instead of 5c and switched to Arch.

Having been on a binary distro like Arch for a while this whole concept of Gentoo being both a build system and a distro looks a bit silly... IMHO it's way better at the former, not so good at the latter forcing people to compile stuff.

libinput is cancer.

Fuck gentoo /s

Though the last time i attempted to install gentoo it managed to kill a laptop. Might give it a shot again though after i finish my LFS install

I think your w bit misguided in your thought. Gentoo has a lot of uses, not last being excellent for special purpose systems, or anywhere that requires specific build or controls. It's hardly just for learners.

Like Gaikai.

gentoo is amazing for corporate envrioments where you have a central server that builds the packages and sends them to a client to be installed