Infrastructure Series: BIND9 Authoritative DNS Guide "Please See Me Edition"

Honorable mention to Unbound/NSD combo (which is the intended approach in stock OpenBSD and together gets green all across that table), but the DNSSEC automation in recent BIND versions dramatically reduces complexity of cycling keys and probably makes it the best option.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve never really done this. Like, weā€™ve whiteboarded list of requirements and interactions, but never really sketched out the logic and flow control.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s my current recursive combo but I think in getting ready to go purely bind understanding it so well.

Iā€™m just horrendously lazy to change whatā€™s working rn if you feel me. Yeah NSD is good too. Need a bit of work. I think it can do well.

Oh my god you gotta try it on something simple. It catches soooo many bugs ahead of time and letā€™s you really think about how you are approaching the program. Often i find when I donā€™t do this it risks becoming very spaghetified

I kind of wish we had big mind mapping programs to help us optimize the process. that would be awesome but also exceptionally difficult to create

3 Likes

@felixthecat was it you who was interested in setting up the SSHFP entries in the Lounge?

There are times I trully hate revising records in bind because its actual error output is the worst ive seen. No usefulness

Solid amazing consistent server. Just diagnosing it feels like looking at 90s code

1 Like

DJB was right.

what?

1 Like

DJB = Daniel J. Bernstein, the creator of DJB DNS. He was right about Bind sucking ass and that simple programs following the Unix philosophy are better.

Although I havenā€™t looked on how to get DJB DNS or Unbound to be authoritative and act as a non-recursive DNS.

Edit: I believe he was the inventor of DNSSEC, but I could be wrong.

1 Like

No he wasnt but

unfortunately the problem is bind is the most modern lightweight implementation that has a complete implementation of standards. Other DNS servers only come close. The closest one I think is powerDNS?

2 Likes

I agree and simple doesnt need to mean it lacks features problem is these days that devs mix up the words simple and minimal

2 Likes

I tend to agree more than I disagree, but code must be kept minimal to some degree.

Also, do not confuse simple with easy (to use).

1 Like

thats true and Im not. I dont need it to be easy to use if you can well document its simplicity which is another major problem these days

seems there is no winning

2 Likes

ive debated making a showcase of different DNS software and their configurations and documentation etc. I just dont know if thats something people would value.

2 Likes

I would, but it wouldnā€™t change me trying to avoid bind.

2 Likes

It would be more of a shopping catalogue. A know what im getting into thread

2 Likes

Biky he invented a curve

not the standard. Just found it

also what I mean by complete:

The chart shows it. Completeness is rare as much as BIND is hateable its the most complete solution

2 Likes

Lmao, what the heck even is ā€œSimple DNS Plus?ā€ And why does that have more features than MS DNS?

Also, I believe given its minimalist nature, djbdns can be extended using other programs and piping stuff into one another. At least thatā€™s what I remember reading.

Although my first choice would likely be Unbound, only because NSD doesnā€™t have recursive capabilities and those are my only options basically, because Iā€™ll likely be running OpenBSD.

2 Likes

In my person opinion the projects need to be merged. However they do that is up to them but I would love to see the openbsd team do this

PowerDNS looks amazing though for what it is. Coded in C++ and you can choose the syntax you want for the zone filesā€¦ as in BIND vs SQL

2 Likes

I thought about what you said about DJB

You know he was right about Bind8 but a BIND9 was a rewrite from scatch. Last I checked it does not suffer from the security issues he spoke of?

Can you get me more sauces?

1 Like

Most of the hosted DNS systems Iā€™ve seen in the wild are bind9 (small to medium enterprises). Often with web guis that generate the zone files for you, calling ā€œnamed-checkzoneā€ and ā€œrndc reload zoneā€ as needed. Though surprisingly many places just hand edit the zone files.

Iā€™ve also seen PowerDNS a few times. Decently powerful, integration is easier (since its just mysql), but Iā€™ve seen at least one integration that had issues due to bad programming.

Interesting side content, you can often see what version of bind someone is running, and the hostname of the server:

dig chaos txt version.bind @nameserver
dig chaos txt hostname.bind @nameserver