Infosec on the Threadripper NVMe Drivers, a Level1 Diagnostic | Level One Techs

Nah you did us proud! :smiley:

Hopefully this pushes the issue along a bit.

2 Likes

@wendell I think you gave AMD enough time and warning on this. they should be happy with the support they get from nerds an it janitors.

if you work you make mistakeā€™s, if you don"t make mistakeā€™s youā€¦

This just sounds like standard AMD. Theyā€™ve never been good at this, sub par software seems to be par for the course with them. Iā€™ve used AMD stuff for 20 years, never really been impressed with their software support. That they havenā€™t responded to Wendell is not a surprise at all really. They pretty much never respond. On the rare occasion that they do, you usually get some marketing garbage from some marketing person that obviously has no clue about the technical side.

I admit that I was very hopeful a couple of years ago when they said that they should do better. The Radeon drivers did improve a bit. Just to slip heavily again lately. Oh well, Iā€™m too sick of it. Not doing AMD much anymore.

AMD is a big enough company to have a marketing department. Having a marketing department means huge stress on communication inside the company. And in all honestly, with your opinion on marketing people, they certainly would not want to talk to you.

They did improve a lot. For example you can overclock one card individually even in CF (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmMMs-5Kfq8 <- Buildzoid video scraping on it).

Why make excuses for a big company? Itā€™s not like itā€™s okay when other companies do the silent treatment either. Why should AMD get a free pass?

Staying silent as a company is by far the worst PR move there is.
However letting the marketing team loose will kill the company within a few years.

Guys chill. These things will come in time as AMD is on the upward swing, I think. That alone will attract talent, but the neat thing about this is that a project like this could be outsourced with no real risk because of the CLI components :wink:

Itā€™s nothing to get bent out of shape about. AMD is not one person they have a lot of interest in a lot of directions and will use their profits from their hard earned market share to reinvest in improvements . These data points will let us see that high watermark of improvement in he future? :smiley:

1 Like

I donā€™t know man, my torch is already lit and my pitchfork is sharper than ever, Iā€™m ready to go to Sunnyvale and give Dr. Su a piece of my mind! :angry:

/jk
AMD needs to step up their software game though.

1 Like

They most likely didnā€™t know how to say code in Golang, Rust, or even C++14/17.

It seems like they gave the task to a someone with a PHP only background and that person basically either is unable to or isnā€™t willing to work outside their comfort zone.

In any case, they need to have higher QC standards and use a more appropriate tool for the job. This XAMP+PHP approach is a bandaged solution, where as the example that you demonstrated makes far more sense.

The QC manager should go ā€œYouā€™re trying to do what exactly? Hmm ok, and why are you using XAMP/PHP for this when itā€™s clearly a bandage solution?ā€

1 Like

someone with a halfway-decent php background (that is, anything worth being called a ā€œbackgroundā€) wouldnā€™t have written it this way. the whole idea is nuts. this is more like an intern did it, but no one was giving them any direction or feedback. (note, iā€™m not blaming the intern.)

1 Like

Personally, any time I see a web UI for any released product that is not a device (printer, router, etc.) I see that as unacceptable.
Hell, if I am going to pay for a product it had better be compiled code and actually have a native UI.

For this driver, it would have been better to just leave it at the command line utilities, and maybe spend a bit more dev time on them, rather than a thrown together webapp.

There are motherboads, where you can set up RAID in the BIOS before you even install the OS.

Why not do it like that ?

Is this so for nvme raid? It was not so with MSI nor gigabyte when I was testing but maybe there had been an update ?

Donā€™t know.

I just wanted to know if itā€™s better to configure it from the OS or from the BIOS.

And if itā€™s better from the BIOS, then why didnā€™t AMD do it this way ?