Increasing VFIO VGA Performance

This is not the place to ask about general QEMU issues.

1. You’re using 4.0-rc0 which is not a stable release, which if you intend to do such things you’re on your own with support.
  2. You’re having a VM crash/freeze, it could be due to passthrough or any number of other things, ask on the QEMU mailing list, not here.
1 Like

All due respect, asking a small question or sharing tips and tweaks is far from what “support” means, no one actually demands support.

I understand and respect your point of view, though.

Now, going back to the subject and gnif’s initial observation:

I see they released v4 rc1 which seems to have fixed some issues with windows 10 (of which I’m concerned) so I’m able to experiment with q35 4.0 machine type. They do over-provision the VM, a q35-3.1 machine had x1 bus as reported by nvidia control panel (check system information) and a q35-4.0 machine now has x16 bus. GPUZ detects a 8 lanes in either case, which reflects the actual configuration in my case (2 slots running x8 x8).

1 Like

No, but you asked an off topic question, this thread isn’t about why Qemu might be crashing. This forum is full of very smart people willing to help, but if cross posting to off topic posts is how people are going to behave it’s going to drive them/us away.

The topic of this post and discussion here is highly technical and it’s hard enough to follow as it is simply due to the evolving nature of this thread as the discovery process went.

It is not “released”, it has been made available, RC stands for “Release Candidate” which means, it might be ready for release, but needs testing and may contain serious bugs, etc.

Yes, they now default to the maximum specified configuration of PCIe 4, but you can (and really should) set it to what it really is by specifying the values via the x-speed and x-width parameters.

Just because GPUZ sees it correct doesn’t mean the driver is identifying the card the same way, it may be programming the GPU registers incorrectly. We already know that GPUZ doesn’t see it the same as when you view the “System Information” in the nVidia control panel. Here you get the true configuration of the card as the driver sees it.

1 Like

Start a new thread asking this question, it is indeed of topic. This is NOT a qemu support thread.

I deleted the post to clean up the thread and created a new post, sorry for the distraction!

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: Improving Looking Glass Capture Performance

QEMU 4.0.0 has just been released. This post is now in stable code:

1 Like

This thread is very valuable for learning thank you very much. I have passed through 6500 XT .
Struggled with same GPU-Z bus shows PCI instead of PCI-e. Since I am using ubuntu 18.04 I thought it belongs here. After updating to latest arch kernel qemu and libvirt it works on bare metal performance.
And I have used ioh - xio downstream and upstream pci-e switches on ubuntu 18.04 replicated the structure on both on qemu2.11 with libvirt and qemu 6.1 commandline , even it did not work. I guess the trick is in the kernel.

2 Likes